OEM or aftermarket rotors?

Hi All,

I seem to have developed a slight warp in my front rotors on my '01 TJ. At this stage I am not sure if they just have to be resurfaced or replaced completely. The Jeep is going in for inspection next Monday and I was just researching in the meantime. Assuming that the rotors are to be replaced, should I stick with stock rotors or go for aftermarket units? If aftermarket units, then any particular kind or design is better than the other? I do have 16" rims, if that makes any difference.

I have about 36,000 kms on the clock so far and rotors warping seems a little premature to me. I am trying to get it covered under the original factory warranty, which still has a month to go, but the Service Manager at the dealer in New Zealand tells me a little "fact" that the factory warranty on brake system and components is only for 1 year or 20,000 kms, which ever comes first. I am sticking to my expectation of all new components, other than consumables, from factory to last more than 1 year or 20,000 kms and be covered as part of the 36 months or 100,000 kms factory warranty. It would be helpful if there are more customer at the dealership when I show up to present my case. But if I am paying for the replacements, then should I stick with OEM or go for aftermarket units?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions in advance.

Kind regards TW

Reply to
TW

twaldron

Go to

and then to the 'owners' section.. there is a tab some way down the page.. then enter your VIN to see if there is a recall notice on the problem.. you will also be told if your Jeep has been fixed in respect of any outstanding recalls..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Any particular brand or design I should keep in mind? I have not done enough research yet to know what is available in the local market here.

Thanks. TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks, I did and it showed only one incomplete recall (intake manifold debris mod). There was nothing about rotors.

TW

Reply to
TW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks for that Bill. If I do end up changing the rotors, I'll keep this mind. I am hoping that replacement will not be required at this stage.

Cheers, TW

Reply to
TW

There will be in time.. can you hold out a while?

Reply to
Mike Hall

Have you had your ties rotated lately? My 2002 TJ was exhibiting the vibration one would normally associate with warped rotors. I got the dealer to rotate the tires and the vibration went away. Also the jeep rode quieter after that. Jeep tend to wear cups in the tires due to the fact that they use transfer cases to get the power to the wheels.

Hope this helps,

Lefty

Reply to
lefty

I was going for a service next Monday and part of it is to have the tyres rotated. I can drive it for another week after that and see if that helps. Although I will wait for it shows on Monday.

Thanks. TW

Reply to
TW

Can you elaborate a little?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Hi, A friend of mine purchased rotors from a parts store. They did not fit because of the center hub. Was a little higher .After installing the rotor then the tire. After trying to spin the tire- it made a squealing sound. He returned to the rotors back and got a second set of rotors.They worked. So bring a rotor so the parts store can match up the height of the oem rotor. This will save some time. Good Luck.

Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Reply to
mctiger

I think you'll find that rotors are considered "consumables" by most manufacturers/dealers.

Reply to
Stephen Young

Reply to
twaldron

I used solid rotors made by Raysbestos (Auto Zone etc) and they have done well for me so far. Better than OEM composite stuff.

good luck

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Thank you all for your replies. I am in New Zealand, so buying off the internet is kind of tricky as most of the part store don't ship stuff from USA to NZ. I have found a local manufacturer who makes rotors and brake parts

One of their reps has given me these specs for their slotted/drilled rotors for a 01 TJ - 280mm diam, 78mm hat height, 24mm thick when new, 22.7mm min thickness, 72mm centre hole 5 stud. Would these rotors fit? Or should I try asking them to fit them as well (I know they are manufacturers, whether they have installation facility I don't know).

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW