Off a tooth? Timing

258 w/ Mopar MPI

I finally got a chance to hook up a timing light to my jeep (my first time) and I found that at idle I'm running 14 to 16 degrees BTDC. Now, since it was hooked up to a DRB II and removed 6 degrees, should I be running at around 8 degrees BTDC at idle since the factory setting is 14 degrees BTDC?

Thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Take it and have it diagnosed billy.

Reply to
bllsht

Duhhhh Duhhhh !!!!

I get it bllsht.....

I'm waiting to get in.

Called for the last three days to get an appt but can't.

They are very busy and Larie wasn't in til yesterday.

Meanwhile I'm going ahead with whatever I can.

Do you have an answer to the question?

If the timing was retarded by 6 degrees and the factory setting of the kit is 14 degrees BTDC, shouldn't it stand to reason that when I put the light on it at idle it should read somewhere around 8 degrees BTDC?

I'm reading between 14 to 16 degrees BTDC.

Oliveri"

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

There is an electrical plug that when you do what to it? Pull it out? Pull it completely out or does it remain attached but in "out" mode?

Why do you suspect that?

True, but I would remain stupid about the workings of my vehicle. I consider it a good investment in education even though I don't have an official class to take. What would really be nice is a manual of diagnostic techniques to determine such issues.

I could have someone do everything but one day I may be stuck somewhere where this type of learning will pay off.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What?

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ok Bill.

Reply to
William Oliveri

That ok guys, whoop it up. I can take it.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Sorry, Bill O., I wasn't laughing at you. :-) It was the whole "conversation" that got me, especially L.W.'s first comments (that made *no* sense at all...his spell checker must change his posts all around or something.). :-)

Reply to
TJim