Off Topic: Blackworm virus

Be prepared for the Blackworm virus set to trigger on February third.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
No worries here, running linux

Reply to
LQQkIE YONDER

Yes, prepare now! Reformat your hard drive today and isntall Linux, FeeBSD or Solaris. It's the only sure protection!

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How many people use more than two or three?? Linux works for most people, most of the time, and mostly better than Windows. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Running Linux is like using spray-on mud for a jeep.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:30:36 -0500, Coasty wrote: and my response is:

Thank you very much Bill for the heads up on the virus alert, my wife will have maintance to do.

I still have Windows, of one form or another, on every box we own. I keep it because my wife started with 98 and still likes it and knows it well enough that the little bit that she does on her box she doesn't want to learn something different all the time. My family uses windows and sends things that require Windows from time to time.

A few years ago I decided to build a box just the way I wanted to. No different than the way many here want to build their Jeep. From the ground up. That's how I put together this computer. When I got ready for systems I installed Windows 98 and installed a copy of Redhat Linux that I ordered from the same place I ordered the components for the box. Well, Redhat isn't supported any more, like it used to be. So I downloaded a copy of Mandrake (Mandriva now) Linux for free. This was about the time XP was coming out.

I run both systems on the same box, I have partitioned one windows partition and formated it for fat32 and use this partition to store pictures, documents and anything I might need no matter weather I'm on Windows or Linux. Because I can read and write to the Windows fat32 partition from Linux, this Windows partition just becomes extra storage space. The reason I do this is Windows can't see what is stored on Linux.

If I were to use windows for internet use I would have to keep Anti-Virus software up to date. Scan for spyware and do maintance like ScanDisk, Defrag. I don't do these things now. I only use Linux for the internet. The reason I don't worry about getting a virus on Linux is because the only way to install any programs on Linux systems is to be able to log on to my box as administrator. To do that you need the unique administrator password I made up when I installed it. Only I can install anything on Linux, unlike windows, so I don't have to worry about a virus because I'm not going to use my password and install a virus. I would have to intentionally install it, that's not going to happen.

By the way the free copy I downloaded and burned the CD's to install had at least five times the software that comes with Windows. The partitioning tools come with Mandriva and are easier to use than partition magic that I used to use to partition my drives. You can download a free copy of Mandriva2006 which I think is the easiest one for a first time user to install. I installed it on both boxes and the laptop along with either, Windows 98, ME, & XP.

My computer is like a jeep with a 4.0 il 6 on one side and a CAT 3208 on the other. Just depends on which one is started. I would choose to start the CAT.

I like my Jeep, but I also like my Chevy. I bother to knock Fords, I have owned them too. I even owned a 53 Studebaker Commander years ago.

YMMV

Keep in mind these are just my opinions based on what I have used. I use them both now.

*Rick* -- Registered Linux user 297687

*Rick*

This cracks me up. There is even a FAQ. "We certainly can't condone anyone doing this in order to avoid, for example, detection by speed or red light cameras."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It was inevitable being in a virtual world. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Earle, you shouldn't be in that red light district anyway...

Reply to
billy ray

Running Windows is like running a Jeep with a pinto drivetrain.

Coasty proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

That's an insult-to Pintos. Their four cylinder Brit/German derived engines were actually pretty stout. Better than the current Jeep four!

Reply to
Bret Ludwig