OFF TOPIC - california jeepers

i just got back from a sunny southern california vacation

....i know a lot of you live in california and i certainly mean no offense when i say HOLY SMOKES i dont see how you guys do it every day. the weather was beautiful....matched only by the beautiful scenery (absolutely BEAUTIFUL mountains you guys have!)....but DANG you guys have traffic. rush hour chicago traffic wasnt even comparable to southern california I-5. it took nearly 5 hours to go from LA to san diego (just over 100 miles) on the interstate and that was on a saturday. with the weather and the scenery i can see why you would want to live there, but my hat is off to anyone who can take that traffic day in and day out.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I don't. I live in the Sierra's, about 50 miles south of the Rubicon trail. I hate the cities, and rarely drive my jeep below 2000 Ft.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It's usually a 3.5 hours drive when I go to TJ... Typical work commutes are lucky to average 20 MPH at peak rush hour :/

noneofyourbusiness

About the only thing cities are good for, is manufacturing. Picture yourself trying to make a microwave oven from raw materials. Here in Colorado we have cities clear up to 10,000 feet. The only traffic jam we have is on the fourth of July, when all the flatlanders come up to Silverton to see the volunteers fire department's show.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hi Sandman, I wish you would have given me a shout. Actually, these months have less tourists, because the warmer inland sucks the fog in so it's "June Gloom" and "May Gray" and we are filled with Zonians trying to escape their heat. It's the winter time when traffic comes to a halt with the snow birds, for our one hundred percent clear sun shinny days. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

In article , Nathan W. Collier wrote: #....i know a lot of you live in california and i certainly mean no offense #when i say HOLY SMOKES i dont see how you guys do it every day. the weather #was beautiful....matched only by the beautiful scenery (absolutely BEAUTIFUL #mountains you guys have!)....but DANG you guys have traffic. rush hour #chicago traffic wasnt even comparable to southern california I-5. it took #nearly 5 hours to go from LA to san diego (just over 100 miles) on the #interstate and that was on a saturday. with the weather and the scenery i

Only 5 hours? Lucky so-and-so! It's taken me up to 8 hours in each direction with the other bazillion people all making our way to and from the SD Comic Con.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Earle Horton proclaimed:

I dunno, I actually had to wait for 7 whole cars to go by the other day before I could make a left on Hover street. That may not be a traffic jam, but it possibly qualifies as traffic jelly.

Reply to
Lon

Herb Leong proclaimed:

Worst area I can recall is the notorious south bay curve that runs from down just south of the harbor all the way up to just about by the airport. San Francisco bay area complains about the 680/580 junction or the altamont pass...but all of them put together would disappear as mere glitches in the mess along the 405 south of los angeles.

Reply to
Lon

I have to travel thru LA to San Diego a few times a year. I try to time it so Southbound I drop from the Grapevine after 8PM, and Northbound leave San Diego around 4AM, thus avoiding the roughly 4.6 million people who have nothing better to do during working hours other than drive around in circles.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

? i thought you were in northern california?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I hope the weather clears by the Fourth - the wife and I are flying out to spend a week with one of her cousins. She lives up on the hill overlooking I5 just above Sea World in Pointa Loma.

My onlt extended experience with San Diego was a TDY stint where I spent most of a June sitting on a destroyer tied up in San Diego - felt like I was freezing most of the time. June Gloom indeed!

Reply to
Will Honea

Ask her if she's ever seen the fireworks without going at least fifteen miles east? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

overlooking

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks, Jeff, but I'm not a big tourista type. When we get together, John and I usually wind up find interesting projects to work on or playing around big, interesting machines. He was Chief of Maintainence on the Midway before he retired so I'm sure that's on out agenda while the girls $hop. We'll likely pretty much stay in town.

If I ever get the chance, I have an old friend who owns a small winery up in th Napa valley - now that's my kind of tour!

Reply to
Will Honea

But I don't have a buddy there I can sponge off of!

Reply to
Will Honea