Oil, big difference?

Oops. I managed to grab a case of 5-30w instead of my normal 10-40w. How big a difference does this make? Its a 98 TJ. Mostly used for wheeling and some comuting, especially in the winter. Do I take it back and exchange it, or just keep it and burn it? Opinions?

Reply to
jbjeep
10w40 is too heavy for winters up here ... 5w30 is the norm.
Reply to
Bowgus

depends on where you live; You'd need to have a 30 weight here in Maine in the winter. Look at your owners manual, it will show you the temp ranges for the viscosity oil you should use.

Reply to
kbrook007

Up where?

Guess I should have said I was in the Pacific North Wet.

Reply to
jbjeep

Owners manual? Whats that?

j/K

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
5W-30 is fine Jen. 10W-40 is the wrong stuff, 40 weight (which is what 10W-40 is when it is warmed up) is just too heavy of a viscosity. I usually run 10W-30.

jbjeep wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Winter's coming so you are probably fine, Make sure you use it up or trade it off before springtime.

It is synthetic isn't it? If not take it back.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Heh, where I live the expected winter temperature is -20º to +65º, which can happen in the same twenty-four hour period. I guess I am screwed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

All the more reason to use synthetic.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The little book that recommends 5w30 or 10w30 (preferred) for a TJ, not

10w40.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

jbjeep proclaimed:

Depends on where you live. You could always save it for winter, but why not just ask the store if you can return it?

Reply to
Lon

Move to Cutbank Montana. Wider 24 hour temperature range [a world record last time I cared to check], lotsa natural gas, and bugs big enough to give you a tow if you get stuck. Oh, and nothing but miles and miles for miles and miles.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon