*#%@&^$#* Oil filter adapter!

Here we go again. I know I've seen this topic on here before but since it didn't have any impact on me at the time I largely ignored all of the sagely advice. Now my dad is having a problem getting the oil filter adapter off his Jeep Cherokee 4.0L to replace the gaskets. As I also have a 4.0, I'm sure one day I may too face this issue. How in the world do you get the thing removed? The fastener is in there such a way as to make it nearly impossible (at least up to this point) to get any tools in there short of removing the starter and engine mounts and jacking up the engine! HELP!!!

Reply to
Marty

The Merg

On an 88 MJ, I jacked the engine up far enough to get clearance but the only thing I could get on the bolt (mine uses a standard head bolt) was a box end. Still took a long cheater and lots of grunts to break loose. My son's 91 XJ required a hex driver and he had enough room to get a 3/8 breaker bar in with a socketed driver. On another XJ, I had to modify a standard hex wrench to get a longer wrench on it. I hope I never run into the torx version - that bolt can be really hard to break loose!

Reply to
Will Honea