Oil Filter Magnets revisited

A while back there was a discussion about oil filter magnets.

And I volunteered to put one on my oil filter. Since it was free and couldn't possibly do any harm I thought what the heck.

Since my Jeep has been banished to the back yard I thought I'd at least change its oil before letting it sit for the better part of the winter.

Here are the results of about 2 1/2 months and 1,000 miles of driving.

I'll let you look for yourself at the results.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Excellent!

That grit could get into everything and act like sandpaper.

Or......

The oil comes 'into' the filter from the outside edge and leaves the filter through the center.

So....

The magnet just picked up the particles before the filter had time to see or filter them.....

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bill,

I also have been using a magnetic drain plugs for several years on all my vehicles. This traps the filings prior to being pumped through the engine it is the lowest spot in the drain pan and by time it gets up to the filter it is too late.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have to admit I had my doubts as well, but after seeing the results I put the magnet back on the new filter. Simple and cheap protection, my favorite kind.

Someth>Hi Dean,

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No my friend this is only the Finest of snake oil. Worth twice as much, but since I can see you're a man of discernment I offer this special price to you alone! Act now or risk your engines life!

Reply to
Dean