Oil Filter Mystery Solved

I really hate to tell a story where the undersigned comes off looking like a complete fool, but in the event that this tale may save some other poor soul the expense and embarrassment I suffered, here it is:

Apparently Jeep changed oil filter mount specifications in mid-model year in 1987, and I was lucky enough to acquire one of the ones so equipped. For anyone observant enough to see it, they put a big yellow placard just in front of the radiator on the left hand side, advising that this AMC 360 requires a 20mm x 1.5 metric threaded oil filter.

Thanks to all who addressed my question and offered suggestions--it has been a learning experience.

Reply to
randallbrink

On the bright side you found the label before buying repair parts. :) Fram still sucks though. I seem to have good luck with Pure One brand.

Reply to
DougW

Yeah, I'm going to leave that Fram on there only long enough to check the oil consumption, and if it continues to not use any oil, then I will drain and switch to AmsOil, and an AmsOil filter.

I'll also confess to having ordered a replacement filter mount, before the revelation. I'm sure I'll one day find someone who will need one...

Reply to
randallbrink

Thanks Randal.

-Bill

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for letting us know that you are going to use what it likes/has! For the Jeeps I don't fight to make it "stock", I replace with what usually comes off. My little XJ has a sticker like that too!

Good luck with your Grand (FSJ) Wagoneer!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1