Oil leak-getting worse

I was looking at the oil leak on my 84 CJ (258) today. It has been getting worse. It looks like the oil is coming out between the head and the block. I cleaned the engine and started it up and could see on the back passenger side between the head and the block a small leak of oil. It comes out for about 9 or 10 inches moving towards the front and gets real bad while I'm driving. Is it time to replace the head gasket?? If so how hard is it to do. About the deepest I've been in this engine is the valve cover, when I replaced it because of a leak. I thought about snugging up the bolts for the head first, but didn't know if that would help any. Any suggestions?

Dan

84 CJ-7
Reply to
Dan Ferrell

L.W.(ßill)

That was what I thought. But my knowledge of engines in minimum to say the least. I just can't figure out where it is coming from if thats not the place. I pulled all of the smog stuff off several months ago and pluged all the leaking vacuum lines and thats when the leak got worse. I guess it still might be coming from the valve cover, but it is strange how it only appears down the one side for about 9 inches, and stays below the head in a nice straight line.

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

Hi Dan, I had a weird one like that, but I found mine when I replaced the distributor. The distributor's base gasket was messed up and the oil worked it's way out from there. The other spot I'd check is where your starter mounts up. I've got a '75 so yours is probably a little different. Good luck though.

Paul

suggestions?

Reply to
Paul Brogren

If you pulled all of the "smog" stuff off...... did you remove the pcv valve and block that passage off, too? A functioning pcv will help prevent oil leaks by keeping the crankcase pressure in check.

Jerry

suggestions?

Reply to
Jerry Newton

There are oil channels the oil runs back down after it has lubed the top.

You could have a leaky head gasket there letting oil just run out, it happens.

One other thing is maybe a leak at the back running across the crack and just wicking along it imitating a head gasket leak. I would maybe be running a clean rag along the back side of the valve cover with the engine running just to see...

You 'sure' wouldn't be the first person to have to do the valve cover over again because it leaked worse after being 'fixed' the first time. All it takes is one fingerprint on the head or edge of the valve cover during assembly to cause a new leak.

Mike

Dan Ferrell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I guess I will pull the valve cover off and try it again. What a PITA though, that back bolt is hell to tighten down. Maybe I will be lucky and get it to stop this time. Getting tired of putting oil in all the time.

Dan

84 CJ7
Reply to
Dan Ferrell