Oil Leak resulting from motor mount repl.

In order to change the passenger side motor mount in the XJ, I had to take off the oil filter and move the filter mount - now it's leaking from where the filter mount meets the engine. I'm assuming there's a gasket in the I probably buggered up?

The oil pressure is now hovering just above zero on the gauge; it goes up momentarily when I rev the engine but goes back down almost immediately. Could this be a result of the gasket in the filter mount, or should I be looking for something else? Thanks guys.

Reply to
The Merg

The Merg

There is an o-ring at the base of the mount. Sounds like you need a new one. I wouldn't drive it like that...

I am not sure why you had to move the filter though....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > In order to change the passenger side motor mount in the XJ, I had to
Reply to
Mike Romain

If you look at the picture, I couldn't slide the bolt from the motor mount because the filter mount was in the way. I guess I probably didn't have to move it, I could have undone the motor mount-to-frame bolts and raised the engine up. That probably would have been easier and made more sense... I just wasn't thinking in terms of raising/lowering the engine - I was already in move-stuff-out-of-the-way-mode since I had to move a lot of the a/c hoses and such just to get a wrench in there. I guess I'll just have to chalk this one up to experience.

Not plann> There is an o-ring at the base of the mount. Sounds like you need a new

Reply to
The Merg

Replace the filter. As a rule of thumb, unless the fitler is near new, if you have to remove it for some reason, go ahead and replace it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
The Merg

You can try lubing the seal again and re-installing the filter.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
The Merg

Don't know about yours, but both my 88 and my son's 91 has 3 O-rings in that adapter assembly: 2 in the base that mounts to the block and one on the hollow bolt that holds it on. Make sure you get them all and use a film of oil to lube them so that they can slip a bit as you compress them.

Reply to
Will Honea
3 O-rings? Mine is a '92, so I can only imagine it's the same setup. I'm almost 100% sure it's one or all of those - I definitely didn't think about O-rings when I re-tightened it (at around 1am).

Thanks Will

Will H>

Reply to
The Merg

O rings are so cheap, why risk it? If you put a new one on then you shouldn't have to tear it all apart again because it tirned out to have a nick or a crack in it that yo couldn't see.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

messagenews:eoufr9$v3u$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

rings are so cheap, why risk it?

Reply to
The Merg

After the first pass, I gave up and went to the dealer. Those O-ring collections are a PITA - you need the right O-ring diameter, thickness, and material to do it right.

Actually, the '88 was the first to go and that !@#$% bolt was so tight and so hard to get a wrench on I really wanted to avoid doing it over. Amazing how a bolt can "grow" to the threads in 15 years...

Reply to
Will Honea

Do you mean the bolt that holds the mount on? I had a little trouble, but some PB Blaster and a breaker bar took care of that.

I guess I'll st> >

Reply to
The Merg

On the '88 MJ, there is not enough clearance between to bolt and frame to get a socket on the head of the bolt (AIR, 17mm or some such). I could probably have used the socket if I jacked the engine a little as I also need to replace the motor mounts but the box end wrench with a cheater worked (with lots of grunting). No way PB Blaster is going to get to those threads in the block . The 91 XJ had a good bit more room - and a Torx bolt. Fortunately, it gave up easier.

Reply to
Will Honea