Oil pressure drop at idle when engines warm, '96 4.0L JGC

Vehicle: '96 JGC 4.0L (108K miles)

I replaced the filter and oil about 3 weeks ago wtih Synthetic Quaker State 4X4 10W30 (first time for synthetic)

About a week ago, the oil prssure gauge dropped to 0 when at an idle after the engine was warm. Now that I've been watching it, it normally runs around 40 and drops to 20 when idling. It will still drop to 0 after a while and then if I run the RPM's up a little, it comes right back up.

I've been good about replacing the oil before but this was the first time I put Synthetic in it. Could this just be the oil pressure sensor?

SB

Reply to
SB

You really didn't want to switch to synthetic in the middle of an engines life. It could be the sensor but I would also change your oil back to dino oil quickly, if it isn't already to late... Also, don't get fooled by some '4x4' label, because... what the hell does engine oil have to do with 4 wheel drive??? (except marketing ploys..$$$) Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Wow, another old wive's tale gets repeated again.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Just wait until is turns into a pin cushion too.... LOL!

Mike

Mike Romain

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:11:07 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Nick N" :

What exactly do you think will happen to an engine if you switch to synthetic (other than decreased wear and less sludge formation)? Note: The time to start using synthetic is after the engine is broken in, not when it's new. I'd say he started a bit late (I generally start at around 20k), but other than the possibility of increased leakage there's no danger to the engine; quite the opposite. HTH.

Sure, but there *are* different formulations of oil for different operating environments, so there *might* be more than a marketing ploy here. That said, I tend to agree with your assessment.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yea, I've heard the wife's tail before, but I have a '89 honda that has 225K miles with about 150K of it on synthetic so....

What about help for the problem though???

SB

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey SB...me and you have to figure out what we're going to do about the same names here....I'm getting confused!! lol I'm reading your posts and don't even know if I wrote it!! lol

Reply to
SB

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:23:41 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

You're probably right, although they do use different additive packages for different applications within the same viscosity range.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:37:44 -0400, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by SB :

As for the problem, I'd want to attach a Bourdan-type gauge to the same point as the electrical sender and verify the pressure before doing anything else. With a "tee" he can connect both simultaneously.

Reply to
Bob Casanova