oil pressure light question

Hello! OK, this is not a Jeep question, but I do have 2 Jeeps also! I posted this on the dodge site, but I think I am more likely to get a response here. The oil light on my 96 intrepid will occasionally come on briefly when at idle. I noticed that the sender (beside the oil filter) was leaking, so I replaced it several days ago. I cleaned the connector with some wd-40 before connecting it. However, my wife said that the light 'flickered' again yesterday when she came to a stop in our driveway. I guess the next step is to get the pressure checked with a gauge at a shop. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there something else I can check? This is a 3.5L engine, so I think the pump is rather hard to get to, behind the cover over the timing belt, so I'm not to happy about trying to fix it myself. The engine has 130K miles on it. I put a small amount of teflon tape around the threads on the new sender, but I didn't put the tape all the way to the end of the threads, so that the first threads would still contact the block. I still wonder if this tape may be interfering with the sensor grounding. If that were the case, then would this only happen at idle? Any help would be appreciated!

cal

Reply to
Cal

On an engine with this much mileage what you are talking about is usually a sign of worn bearings, rather than being isolated to the pump. I would certainly recommend taking it to a shop where you can get an actual gauge reading of your oil pressure at idle and an expert (on this model) opinion of what it all means.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Get a mechanical pressure guage from the local parts store - $5 to $10

- and screw it in place of the sender. See what you actually have for oil pressure. I'd look for AT LEAST 10PSI hot idle and upwards of

40-50 PSI at anything over 1500-2000 RPM. Sending units are not my idea of reliable devices.

As Earle said, with those miles I'd suspect bearings before the pump but either could be expensive - I think that pump is built into the front engine cover.

The last eng> Hello!

Reply to
Will Honea