Oily Coolant in Recovery Tank

Earlier this year I picked up a 93 Cherokee with 254K on the clock. It seems to still be a strong runner, and the body doesn't have a speck of rust on it.

The other night, the radiator appears to be starting to leak as I noticed a little steam coming out from the front grille area and I could smell coolant. The next morning I noticed a little puddle of coolant on the driveway.

So, I filled the recovery tank with distilled water to make up for any lost coolant until I can get this thing in to get it fixed, toss a gallon of water in the back to carry along, and constantly keep my eye on the temperature gauge.

Yesterday, however, I looked into the coolant recovery tank and the contents appeared really, really dark. I opened it up and stuck my finger into the liquid and it felt very oily. I then took off the radiator cap, and the color of the coolant appeared normal.

I also checked the oil dipstick and everything is normal there (thinking maybe a blown head gasket)?

What do you think is going on here?

Thanks!

Mark '93 XJ

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

That is a common occurrence if the coolant you are using is DexCool, it converts eventually into an acidic reddish-brown sludge.

Reply to
billy ray