Ok Help Again P0320 Code

cleaned the throttle body real well ... took it out for a ride and boom, again it died and hard starting .. so while I sat there I did the code check which I had failed to do earlier and it read P0320 No Crank Reference Signal at PCM No reference signal (crankshaft position sensor) detected during engine cranking.

is this the CPS or CKS sensor ... is this located by the oil stick ?? part number ending in 1020 ??

thanks again to so many helps .. sorry if I cause a flurry in cross posting .. you all have been generous with your knowledge

Reply to
Mindy

Which engine does it have?

As I mentioned in another thread (and I think several others too) check the connector first. Make sure the pins are 'squeaky clean' (clean with contact cleaner, be careful some brake cleaner will damage the pastic used in connectors) and when reassembling use silicone terminal grease on the rubber seal (don't let the silicone grease get on the pins, it's meant to keep water out of the connector by sealing the shell halves.)

Reply to
PeterD

Usually it is the connection on the part. A spray electronic contact cleaner can do them wonders and not cost a lot. All the sensor plugs and sockets can benefit from this spray cleaner, they only pass computer signals and can be dirty without looking so.

As mentioned, yours does have two things called a CPS and on some the connector is above the oil stick, one others the connection is over near the throttle body. The 'other' CPS is in the distributor.

I personally just go after any connection I can see with the cleaner every couple years. That kept my 'dead' TPS running for another ten years before I got rid of that Jeep....

I would do the clean first.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain