Old Man Emu Lift ????'s

I'm looking at the OME lift for my '89 YJ .. had a few questions on it:

1) Anything needed other than the lift? Its a 2" which I recall was ok in regard to linkage, lines and driveshaft .. but wanna make sure. Anything else I need/should watch for?

2) I know it says it will make 31's fit, but 31's have fit under all my other jeeps, even stock .. so I wonder if the 2" alone will be enough to fit 33's under. If not .. how much body lift will I need to do?

3) About how long to install for a novice, and are they doable by a novice with some experienced help?

4) How much does the OME lift change the day-to-day street manners of the Jeep?

Thanks for all the help .. been a few years since I've been here. Good to see some familar names still. :) I swear I'm not getting rid of this one. lol.

Reply to
Tom Craft, MCP

I put a two and a half inch OME lift on my '91 YJ. I needed to drop the tranny, change th pitman arm to avoid the bump steer I noticed right away, added wedges on rear end. Don't know for sure on a 2 inch lift what you might have to do or might want to do. I also loosened the brake lines up front and in the back. I also left off the sway bar and left off the track bars.

My 31's rub ocassionally in extreme dips or rises. You can get a little extra lift with shackles.

A good day with help. Maybe longer.

My Jeep drives like a dream compared to other lifted Jeeps I've been in.

Reply to
James Gemmill

I installed one in my 90 YJ several years ago. See comments below.

I installed the the OME kit. Included the transfer case drop. I did not have to install a pitman arm drop. No additional shims were needed in the rear springs. I installed longer front brake lines. When off-roading, I have my front sway bar disconnected, and track bar disconnected (running a JKS).

I run 31" tires. I can still stuff the tires into the front fender wells. You will not be able to run 33's.

Took me all day, by myself.

The ride is much better than stock. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Michael Vincenty