Onboard air question

I have a Truck/Rv 250-psi Cordless Air Compressor and would like to know if this would be OK to use as a compressor for my onboard air. I use it to air up after offroading but it would be better if I turned it into an onboard system with a small tank. Would it be powerful enough or am I just waisting money? Does anyone use this type of compressor for there onboard air?

Reply to
Snowboardripper

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That low-air volume (high air pressure capacity means nothing... it's air volume that you're after) compressor is not a good choice for serious use as an offroad tire inflator. It just doesn't pump out enough volume to be more than a frustrating tool to use. It will take 40-45 minutes to air up four good size tires after they've been aired down for offroading.

While I seldom agree with Bill, his suggestion to use a York compressor for that task is right on. It puts out enough air volume to actually be usable and air up tires in short order. I can air up all four of my 35x12.50 tires in about five minutes... 5 minutes total for all four tires. :)

I've had mine installed with an air tank for over five years now and it puts out enough air volume that I can run my air tools on the trail. Go to

for more information. By the way, I only spent $35 for my York F210 compressor at a junkyard so there's no need to buy one new like from that site I gave the link to. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

So is yours engine driven or electric?

Reply to
SB

A York compressor is belt driven... though you can find them powered by an electric motor that then makes them WAY overpriced. Mine is run by a belt between it and a double-pulley mounted onto the alternator. The compressor's mounting bracket and pulley were both in a kit of parts I got from Brad Kilby at

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

P.S. The electric-powered York I referred to is actually a standard York compressor that has been bolted to a 12 volt electric motor. It's overpriced in my opinion and the belt-driven version is the preferrable way to go.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford