One more engine question

I was thinking of replacing my tired 2.8 GM engine in my 85 XJ with the HT

3.4 GM replacement, but I found a complete running 4.0 from a 92 XJ. Even with the cost of rebuilding the 4.0 it would cost me the same amount. Problem is that the 92 XJ was hit in the front so I can't get decent measurements to see if I can fit it in my 85 XJ. Anyone know if it will transfer?

Thanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade

It will not fit. They changed the firewall size for the 4.0.

Mike

Eric Shade wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the quick response. Just looking at the length of the engine it diddn't look like it. I was hoping though, in my opinion the straight 6 is a better engine than the V.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade

I agree, since this is my daily driver, I don't want to have it out of commision that long just to shoe horn the engine in and it would never be properly mounted.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade

It may well be a better engine but the amount of firewall and motor mount hacking needed do not make it a trivial swap. Yes, you could do it and I recall seeing some web sites that discussed it. But frankly it's such a complicated job that it's probably not worth it.

Reply to
wkearney99

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

no, it would be easier and probably cheaper to sell and but a 4,0 xj

john

Reply to
johnny