Opinoins on Cherokee

I am looking at two 1995 Jeep Cherokees with 4.0 4x4, How reliable is it, i would like to hear all the pros and cons. Thanks for the help

Reply to
randy1128

I have a 96 and that should be close enough. Also my son has a 89. Shopping the local "u pull it" yards for dress up parts for the son's 89 (heated rear window and wireing for example) I've noticed the average 6 cylinder XJ's in the yards has 250,000 miles on them and look like that for the last part of their lives were neglected. The newest one I saw yeterday was a 90 that had been wrecked in the front. The 4 cylinder models seem to have about 150 k on them. I rescued the son's 89 when the original owner was going to give it to the salvation army. I offered instant cash! Well with a lot of parts and time it's a first class good looking vehicle good for at least a few more reliable years. Now to answere your question, the 6 cylinder models are very reliable expecially the automatics. The HO engine has it's peak tourqe at

3000 rpms where as the non HO has it's at 4000 rpm's. So the HO engine feels much stronger. It's also got a modern Chrysler engine management system versus the older Remix french management system that does alright also. Problem areas are exhauste manifolds on 91 (I think) to 99 6 cylinder engines. As we speak I'm looking at a Banks header and down pipe for my 96 along with a new cat that's breaking up inside and rattling. Possibly caused by the cracked manifold. So that's a header, $400, matching down pipe, 2 o2 sensors and a cat con. You do the math. I've had it 2 months and it has 140k miles on it. I knew what I was getting into but it's in very good condition with lots of features. (pw, remote pdl, tilt, cruise, factory tinted rear windows, original mag rims, 4 door and automatic. I got it from a chevy dealer that had 6 cherokees and was taking 5 to auction the following monday. So the timing was right. Also rusting foorboards seem to be the norm because of leaks and a carpet that has a non breathing backing that traps the water and it can't dry. I tend to take overly good care of my cars and they reward me for it. I think they're as reliable as you can get for a ten year old car.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Here, look at another one...

the link doesn't work... search for 1995 Jeep Laredo and look for owner "Masnor"

I agree with Jo Bo, they are as reliable as any other 10-old non-Japanese vehicle. While this is a V8, I have a 4.0L in a Wrangler and think it is great. Fuel economy is the only thing I'd change with either engine.

If you are interested in the Laredo, send email through the carsoup link.

Reply to
Marc Masnor