[OT] active duty and vets (id theft)

FYI

For those of you that get that wonderful letter that says "oops, we seem to have exposed all your private information. Sorry."

I strongly suggest that you contact one of the companes below and put a fraud alert on your file.

This makes the third time I have had to do this myself. One thing to keep in mind is if you go to get a loan or a cell phone (anything where they do a credit check) you will probably be asked some nitpicky questions about your existing cards and/or last bill you paid was for how much. Very much a pain in the ass, but that is to make sure no body falsifies your info.

How do I request a "fraud alert" be placed on my file if I believe I may be affected by the recent Veterans Affairs data security breach?

You have the right to ask that nationwide consumer credit reporting companies place "fraud alerts" in your file to let potential creditors and others know that you may be a victim of identity theft. A fraud alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you. It also may delay your ability to obtain credit. You may place a fraud alert in your file by calling just one of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies. As soon as that agency processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two, which then also must place fraud alerts in your file.

Equifax: 1-877-576-5734;

Experian: 1-888-397-3742;

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289;

DougW

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

This is where to check. It works outside the .mil domain

DougW