OT: Built in code reader?

There's a discussion in alt.trucks.ford about code readers, and it got me thinking...why couldn't there be a small display to show a stored code, and it's definition, in every (new) vehicle? Doesn't seem like it would be all that expensive to engineer one into a vehicle, especially since a lot of vehicles (including my wife's Freestar) has a next-to-useless "information display" in the dashboard ("Door Ajar, Change Your Oil, Low Washer Fluid", etc). Seems when a "Check Engine" code is tripped, it would be helpful to have a display already there saying "O2 Sensor" or "Thottle Position Sensor."

Of course, by equipping vehicles with such an apparatus, the dealership service depts stand to lose a lot of revenue in diagnostic fees...

--

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

*DING*

We have a winner!

How else could the dealership charge 70-90$ just to run a simple fault code scan. (Not that some don't provide further service than a simple scan)

Fortunatly with the new OBD systems the aftermarket is providing solutions. They just don't have them dashmount yet.

My FAV is the "Rear Lamp Failure" which just sprung up again tonight. Basically that means I need to reform the old lamp contacts again.

woo hoo. 8|

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

EX_FREAKIN_ATLY!!!!

My wife's Altima recently had the check engine light come on and just because I forced myself, with some resistance, to learn by doing and installed my MPI kit myself I knew how to find the computer and check the return code. I quickly found that the error was the O2 sensor. BTW, the way the code is revealed on an Altima is by accessing the computer behind a panel on the floorboard hump. Anyway, just to gauge the situation, I called the SteelerShip to ask them for an interpretation of the code to which they refused. They told me I would need to bring it in to check it. So I called another Steelership and told them I think my O2 sensor was bad, what would they charge to fix it. They replied, first there would be a 70.00 charge to check it out and confirm it is the O2 Sensor (they said it could be caused by loose wiring). Then there would be an over 200.00 charge to replace the O2 sensor if that is the problem. Pahh!! I got an 02 senor from Kragen for around 30.00, reset the computer and everything has been fine since.

So, basically, they don't want you to fix your own vehicle and save money. They want every dollar they can get from you.

Bill

"information

Reply to
William Oliveri

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

William wasn't asking anyone to tell him how to fix his vehicle for free. He just wanted the oxygen sensor replaced. And no, while it may be necessary for a business owner to earn income, it is not necessary for me that they do so. :o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton