OT: E-150 Dies During Driving

My husband's E-150 van has had a miss and rough idle for several months. We finally resolved it by replacing most of the ignition parts... ie: wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, secondary ignition wires, coil and battery. Now the rough idle and miss are gone, but after driving it for approximately 45min to 1hour, it looses power and dies. When it dies, the dash guages (oil pressure) needles flutter and all turns off. Sometimes it does not die completely, but when you step on the gas pedal, nothing happens at all, or it starts to rumble hard and die.

Also fixed a minor leak in the gas tank seams, replaced the gas vent line and overhead valves. Along with a new muffler/tailpipe and tested the catalytic convertor, which tested fine.

Any ideas on what might be the cause of it dying?

And yes, I am starting to have a deep seated resentment towards american automobiles, of any brand or model.

Reply to
Casper

My F150 did the same thing earlier this summer, and I did the plugs, cap, rotor, and wires routine, which helped, but the stalling was still here. I ended up cleaning the idle air control valve, along with the IAC and throttle position sensor electrical connections. I also cleaned the throttle body. All of this solved the problem and it has been fine since. My IAC valve was very crudded up, and I have a feeling that was the main cause of my problem.

Chris

Has the ignition module been checked? AutoZone will do it for free...

Reply to
billy ray

Get a can of air duster from best buy. It's compressed air in a can used for cleaning computers. Locate the ignition module in the engine compartment and take the van for a spin. When it dies, hold the spray can upside down and spray it onto the module. The mist is VERY cold so don't let it touch you skin. After cooling the module, try the van again and see what happens.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Better yet, just get the freeze spray instead of the duster....

The freeze spray is intended to test for parts that fail with heat.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

'Gas vent line' rings alarms. If not plumbed or vented correctly this line will let a vacuum happen on the gas tank which causes the engine to appear to run out of gas after driving for a while. It then bogs out and dies.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

I didn't know they made such a thing. Where do you get freeze spray?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The electronics stores carry it along with good spray contact cleaner for all the electronic sensor plug and socket cleaning.

One brand is called 'super cold 134' made by MG CHEMICALS.

Here is >

Reply to
Mike Romain

RatShack used to carry it. Can also be mail ordered from electronics and PC parts hobbyist onlines. It isn't really necessary, the Perfect Dust brand duster spray is diflouroethane and cools just as well.

Carl proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon