OT Firebird/Camaro sameness (was Re: 7 slot grilles ...)

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote: > You wrote, "basically the same cars for most of their history" > which tells me you weren't even born when they rolled off the assembly > line. Just open any auto repair book. And just in case you see the > Firebird 400", it's not the Chevy small block.

And you wrote: "GM shares nothing between their Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Chevrolet divisions" Which is dead wrong unless you meant this statement to apply only to the muscle car era. If that's what you meant then... well you're still wrong. When it comes to the two cars we're talking about, every generation of the f-bodies share some parts.

"GM shares nothing" tells me that you don't know what you're talking about, and would rather make bold incorrect statements and imply that I'm too young to know anything; than do a little actual learning on the subject yourself.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

L.W.(ßill)

I'm happy to say that my other car is a 1995 Formula

before that

1988 T/A GTA

before that

1986 Firebird

-Mark

89YJ

_____ ,[_____],¯|\ -©|||||||©--|¯¯|¯¯| (_( ¯¯¯ (_()¯¯ (_()

Reply to
Mark12211

I made a basically correct generalization about f-bodies (Camaro's Firebirds and TA's) that they've shared parts for most of their history. In reply to Dave Milne's remark: "Pontiac Transam to which the Camaro seems suspiciously related .. or is it the other way round, who knows."

To nit pick, all of those cars along with the Mustang are "pony" cars not muscle cars. The original post that got the thread started was talking about an 85 TA. The third gen f-bodies shared mostly chevy motors (with some exceptions). For the last ten years the cars have shared the LS1 engine among many other things. So from 82 to 2002 that's

20 years of a 35 year old brand history.

Just in case you're wondering the first gen f-bodies shared their chassis and most of their sheet metal, the engines were all brand specific however. The 2nd Gen only really shared the chassis... So during the sports car dark ages they were the least alike. They have ALWAYS been based on the same platform, and for 20 years they shared GM motors... The majority of them chevy.

And I don't see why it matters but I'm 33...

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I'm happy with my 95 Mustang GT vert

Before that was a 65 Fastback

If things work out my next might just be an 05 Shelby Mustang (I realize that statement might need some explaining for people who don't keep up with auto news).

Anyway I guess an 02 will be your last? To bad about that, it's not the same now that there's only one pony car left.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Shelby just got back together with Ford, there's nothing confirmed model wise; Except that he was already involved in the new GT (as in GT40 exotic not Mustang) but they'd have to be stupid not to put out a Shelby variation... Especially considering the redesign for 04 has all kinds of retro look and some retro Shelby additions would suit it perfectly.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
twaldron

He's 80 I believe. The news has me all exited about the possibilities... a new 2 seater Cobra, Shelby Mustang, he's also hinted that he's interested in the current compact sports "tuner" cars, so a Shelby Focus might happen (don't laugh there's already an SVT focus, and the car is quite strong in pro Rally over in Europe).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

The Rally focus is a quite different car than the SVT. All wheel drive and

300 ponies. I'd love to see one of those at the dealer.

Matt Phillips

If you're more comfortable being wrong, just so long as you're older than me, I guess I can see your point.

How was it "obvious" that I wasn't around during the muscle car era? Are you saying that I show my youth by being correct about the history of Camaro's and Firebirds?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You know the parts of my previous posts that you've avoided addressing and possibly even avoided reading because they mentioned various parts that the two cars have shared over 35 years and four generations? Do you usually go to this extent to avoid finding out that you're wrong?

You'd lose the bet, now stop trying to change the subject.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I didn't eliminate the first 15 years, or change the subject... The subject was an 85. I mentioned the first generation which share sheet metal and chassis... Contrary to your claim that GM cars share NOTHING. You and ONLY you brought up the Muscle car era (when we're talking about pony cars). Then when presented with the fact that even 67+ f-bodies share parts you claim I'm eliminating 15 years of their history!

I've proven my point in spades and all you can do is try to insult me in the attempt to avoid admitting you didn't know what you were talking about. BTW you'll definitely want to avoid talking about Mustangs as well if you think a 95 GT has a V6.

Reply to
Simon Juncal