OT: Mt. Biker rant

I brought up Moab in another thread and it reminded me of this.

So I'm in Moab the weekend of Oct 11th. We are about 20 minutes into a trail called Klondike Bluffs (pretty easy trail, only a few real rocky sections). A biker stops me and says there is an injured biker up ahead (about 1/2 mile more) and asks if we can stop and maybe help them get out.

So we get there and it is a 13 year old kid that had obviously taken a pretty good tumble down some not-so-slickrock. He's banged up pretty bad and can't walk-out or ride-out on his own. So I leave my parents (in their Jeep) and fiance on the trail and grab the kid and his dad. Dad has to sit on the spare tire in back since I have the back loaded up with tools and camping gear, spare tire etc....

So I have a injured biker in the passenger seat, and another biker on my spare tire in back. I'm creeping along the real bumpy/rocky sections because the kid is in some pretty good pain. So I'm not really paying attention to whats coming up behind me cause the dad is blocking my rear view and I don't have side mirrors on, plus I'm concentrating on taking the least painful route for the poor kid. I realize there is a group of bikers behind me and just as I stop and they go by one says "do you miiiiiiind if we get by you" in a VERY sarcastic tone. Here I am helping out one of their own (which was pretty obious I thought... seeing as I have two bikers decked out in full gear in my Jeep) and they are giving me crap about not pulling over fast enough. Some fricking people.

A simple "on your left" would have alerted me to their presence and gotten me to move out of the way.

The father and mother and a few other bikers along the way were very appreciative by the way, so I'm not bashing all bikers. I just couldn't get that one comment out of my head. I guess he didn't realize I was helping out, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I always try to stop and let bikers by. I know when I'm out hiking I prefer not to suck up any exhaust.

Hopefully the kid is feeling a bit better now, unfortunately I didn't get much good karma on the trip as a power steering hose decided to loosen then strip out the next day :-)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

The sarcastic comment was way out of place. However, from experience I can tell you that the _cyclist_ (not "biker") was not looking inside your rig, but at the trail ahead of his front tire. He may have been a jerk, but I doubt if he realized the true situation.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

I go to Moab 3 or 4 times a year and run trails with the bikes all the time. Most of them are cool but a few can be real jerks, but the same can be said for the Jeepers, most are cool but there are some real jerks riding around in Jeeps.

I was there just last weekend and the cyclists were amazed that my group was going on the Cliff Hanger trail, but I was equally amazed that they would ride their bikes on that trail. Between me and the rocks I've got a roll cage and seat belts all they have is flesh and bone.

You did the right thing. The @s$ with the comment was the one with the big divot in his karma.

Dean

Reply to
Dean