OT: Question about oil change intervals on atv

I am a Jeepster, but I also have a couple of four-wheelers, and thus have an oil-related question:

I have a Honda Foreman 450, which I use only when I am at our mountain cabin. In some years, I only put 200-300 miles on it.

I use the special Mobil 1 synthetic oil made for motorcycles and atv's. The manual says to change the oil every 600 miles. Even though this oil allows for extended use, I always follow the 600 mile rule, but I have also changed it every year , even if I don't have the 600 miles on it.

SO, here is my question.............. if the atv has only 250 miles on it in the last year... and the oil looks brand new clean on the dipstick......... do you think that I should change it every year anyhow ? I guess another way of asking the question is whether the oil breaks down after a year or so and should be changed even if you have NO miles on it?

I also wonder if the answer would be the same as for a Jeep engine.

What do you experts think ??

Thanks for any comments or input !!

James

Reply to
James

All lube schedules, I know of have also used time limits. Drain oil if allowed to sit will settle out, and look clear, of course we know it's full of raw gasoline, water, acid, carbon, and worn parts, make a killer weed killer. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I would change the oil every year regardless of the miles. Our toys that sit a lot do tend to gather moisture in the crankcase, which becomes acidic when it mixes with the oil. Anything with aluminum heads or block will be more susceptible to corrosion from this. My feeling is that an extra $20 or so per year is cheap insurance to prevent this.

Chris

James wrote:

Thanks Bill and Chris !!

James

Reply to
James

Ask the EPA what they think about dumping used oil/gas onto the ground.

Whom do you think makes the weed killers????????? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

WHO do I think makes weed killers? Not the EPA, they do regulate those things though. You said you ran a gas station, so you of all people should know how big a crime that would be to allow petroleum products to enter the ground. Google it, if you must.

I figured a no name troll wouldn't answer the question, which was "Whom do you think makes the weed killers:" God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Chemical companies such as Dow. Idiot

Dow, a German owned company operates along the Gulf coast cracking the same petroleum products, as the oil refineries:

Ihauled the same hazardous waste them as the oil refineries.http://www.billhughes.com/kenworth.jpg God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:50:52 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

You don't know, quick Google and find your answer. He was a criminal back then, and he's a criminal now.

:> I figured a no name troll wouldn't answer the question, which was "Whom :>do you think makes the weed killers:" :>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>

:>"d" wrote in message :>news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com :>> WHO do I think makes weed killers? Not the EPA, they do regulate :>> those things though. You said you ran a gas station, so you of all :>> people should know how big a crime that would be to allow petroleum :>> products to enter the ground. Google it, if you must.

Reply to
24Bit

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:40:51 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

Just what I said, the Google king strikes again, may your reign be short and lowly!

:> Dow, a German owned company operates along the Gulf coast cracking the :>same petroleum products, as the oil refineries: :>

:>hauled the same hazardous waste them as the oil refineries. :>
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:>

:>

:>> Chemical companies such as Dow. Idiot

Reply to
24Bit

Oh no!

Christy's dead !!