<OT> Studebaker Desert cars and trucks

This is some cool stuff, while you can't beat a Jeep sometimes you need a truck or room for more passengers. Back in the late 40's Studebaker built some cars and trucks especially for desert use.

I can't imagine most people putting a modern SUV through what these vehicles are going through.

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

interesting, thanks.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Wow, flash backs galore when I was a kid my dad had one. I remember we use travel from upstate NY to Long Island and visit the kin folks. Dad use to drive down the beach with a car load of people and have fun in the sand . He passed away shortly after but that was one fond memory I can still smell the salt air. I remember back in 62 when Studebaker went bankrupt and remember thinking my dad is probably rolling over in his grave.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

My dad had a Stude pickup as well. Some time in the late '60s he traded it on a Ford because he was having trouble finding parts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I was glad to see the last of the Studebaker pickups, I had a close encounter with one once. I wound up with a concussion, broken right collar bone, right upper arm broken in two places, broken shoulder blade and a many weeks in a cast.

I learned not to argue with a Studebaker pickup when on foot.... :-(

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III