Out come to Airflow Question asked another way

  1. The airflow from the AC in my wrangler comes out the bottom vent, the top vent , and the defroster all at the same time no matter how I set the controls. Can someone give me a general idea as to how the airflow is controlled mechanically so I can begin to figure out the problem.I know how to get at the control panel which appears to be vacuum unit I just don't know if its a vacuum problem, control problem or possibly a baffle issue.

2.Ok, I checked under the hood as Mike suggested to make sure all vacuum lines in place and secure. Everything appeared to be correct and in place. Also determined that you could figure out if vacuum was working by turning on blower & AC with out the engine running. I identified 3 vacuum control units closest to driver under dash in a line running up to top of dash. First one appears to switch between hot and cold. The top two seem to work together with the center one controlling the bi-level and floor flow. That one appears to have almost no movement when you switch it back and forth so it is suspect along with vacuum control unit at this point. I have also determined that on all settings the largest volume of air is coming out the defrost area . The center unit has two vacuum lines running to it , the others only have one. That's as far as got , need some else to do some switching back and forth while I check lines. That's tonight's project, will report back tomorrow

  1. So far I've come up empty handed on all vacuum issues but the blower motor now only works with AC, nothing at all when I try to run heat. The Vacuum switch is a rotary type with a 3 wires plugged into the side of it so I'm starting to suspect that's the problem. One of the wires, 2 green and one black, appears to have overheated and melted the plastic at some point. I cleaned and replaced the three way plug with individual wires but that didn't help. I hate to give up and take it to a dealer( Haven't found one in Mpls, MN worth a damn) but unless someone can point me in another direction I'm out of Ideas.

Thanks JD 2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

I would be checking the dash grounds for the electrical issue. I read somewhere, but can't find it again that the ground on the dash falls off f you bump it which craps out the heater fan switch. The fix is to drill and tap it for a new bolt.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? They are really cheap.

I would be putting a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold, say at the CCV nipple and then start pinching closed vacuum lines, starting with the one going through the firewall.

If the vacuum gauge moves even slightly when you pinch closed hoses, you have a leak in that line.

Mike

JD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't have a vacuum gage now but that's a good reason to get one. Is there more than one ground strap for the dash ? JD 2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

I think there are at least 2 grounds, one on each side.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain