PING >>>> Mike R

Ok, so my admittedly bad driveshaft angles have killed my rear pinion bearings, from the other post I gather that it may be a safe bet that the t-case seals are damaged as well? Also, (my apologies for being so damn thick) I really really don't get how/where any fluid my leave my t-case after I remove the rear driveshaft. I will be changing it this weekend anyway, but I will check the fluid level in the morning, as the persistence of you and others that I should be losing fluid is bothering the hell out of me.

Reply to
Joseph P

The vibration that took out your pinion bearing also likely damaged the bearing and seal at the end of the t-case. Not for sure, but very likely.

Even with a closed t-case like my Dana 300, I had to change the rear t-case seal as well as the pinion seal after my driveshaft exploded.

Basically just have a close inspection for fluid leaking out the back before you put it all back together.

Mike

Joseph P wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would say unless you see fluid leaking from said seals, you're probably still ok. I had a bad pinion seal from running high angles on my rear driveline for a year before I was finally able to put in a slip-yoke elminator and a double-cardan driveshaft, but my output seal from the transfer case was still fine (of course, it ended up getting replaced when I did the slip-yoke eliminator kit, anyway).

To tell you the truth, I thought it odd that everyone thought you would lose fluid out of the transfer case as well; when I did my slip-yoke kit and took off that tailshaft, nothing leaked then (of course I was level and the jeep not moving, in my garage)... But, after a recent trail run and seeing a wrangler with the stock tailshaft bust, I learned it was true. He was trying to climb a reasonably steep dirt incline, got on the gas WAY too much, and busted the rear driveshaft. After the parts finished flying out (one landed at my feet a full 30 ft. away), there was a LARGE puddle of t-case fluid that had leaked out of the tail of the t-case where the slip-yoke would have normally held it in. After some interesting water bottle, bungie cords, and duct tape application, he was able to limp off the trail in 2wd. So, I see your point, it doesn't look like it'd leak out. Right up until the point when it does ;-). We just don't want you to find this out the hard way when you're miles away from home!

I have already learned alot from this group; it's been very helpful to me in the past when I ask about doing one thing and everyone out there "makes sure" I know another 10 things that might relate ;-). It also helps out the lurkers who may have a similar question but aren't sure they want to ask it.

--Look at me, I'm top-posting! =D

Reply to
Bob

Help me understand this:

I'm currently running with poor drive shaft angle (At the Transfer Case). The angle at the pinion is ok or very close.

I just, a couple of days ago, went to home depot and bought about 200 pounds of rocks in bags and put them on my rear side to weigh it down and help break in the lift springs.

This action helped the angle at the transfer case. However, I still get the vibration.

My questions here are:

How can one know when rear pinion bearings are shot, what tests can you do?

How can you know if part or parts of the transfer case is shot, what tests can you do?

I've gone under the jeep and tried to find looseness by grabbing the drive shaft and try to look for play or looseness. Can't find any.

Please let me know of any diagnostic techniques to understand the current state of my drive shaft, transfer case, and pinion.

Thank you,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

It doesn't work like that really.

It isn't so much driveshaft angle as it is having the pinion angles match up properly.

If you have u-joints, the t-case and the pinion have to be parallel with each other. Either l----l or \----\ or something even.

You get this by lowering the t-case to get it's angle closer to the pinion angle or you can raise or lower the pinion angle with shims on a leaf sprung vehicle. Coil springs have other ways to change angles.

If you put a CV joint at the t-case end, then you point the pinion up at the axle straight to the CV.

And basically you get leaks at the seals when you start damaging input bearings. No leaks, no damage.

If it starts leaking, it has to have enough movement to have wrecked that seal, so inspect very carefully.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I was trying to save myself from snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, but wouldn't let me go...

Bob, you a rea real PITA, you know that... :P

Reply to
Joseph P

I was trying to save myself from snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca, but wouldn't let me go...

| The vibration that took out your pinion bearing also likely | damaged the bearing and seal at the end of the t-case. Not | for sure, but very likely. | | Even with a closed t-case like my Dana 300, I had to change | the rear t-case seal as well as the pinion seal after my | driveshaft exploded. | | Basically just have a close inspection for fluid leaking out | the back before you put it all back together. | | Mike | | Joseph P wrote: || || Ok, so my admittedly bad driveshaft angles have killed my || rear pinion bearings, from the other post I gather that it || may be a safe bet that the t-case seals are damaged as well? || Also, (my apologies for being so damn thick) I really really || don't get how/where any fluid my leave my t-case after I || remove the rear driveshaft. I will be changing it this || weekend anyway, but I will check the fluid level in the || morning, as the persistence of you and others that I should || be losing fluid is bothering the hell out of me. || || -- || -- || Joe Pribe || NC || jpribe 'at' nc.rr.com || jegp 'at' hotmail.com || ---- I Love My O|||||||O TJ

Mike, thank you.

Reply to
Joseph P