Pinion Gear Bearings...

Ok, so there I was, driving down the highway, Jack on the rocks in one hand, Jim in the other, when this weird grind/growl/*noise* starts coming from my Jeep....I listen intently (after setting my drinks down, of course) and first impression is driveline....here we go:

Faster vehicle speed = higher pitch Not at all related to RPM more noticeable under load (acceleration), slightly noticeable under deceleration (engine braking) gone when coasting with clutch depressed

I had recently notices oil coming from the rear diff, so I thought I would check that...crap came out the hole so it was fine. Transmission seemed a little warm, but didn't have a 15/16 socket with me, let alone a ratchet, but today I checked and the fluid level is also fine. I have just replaced both the rear diff and tranny fluid today. Noise is slightly less bothersome. Ok, not really. So, I go over to my buds, we toss her in the air and let it idle in 3rd gear on jackstands.....definitely the rear diff. Break out the chopsaw, make me a stethoscope (read: 1/2 inch round solid steel.) So I take a listen, right...*way* worse at the forward end of the diff than the rear, so it must be pinion bearings, right?

So, I could prolly use a complete rebuild anyway, what is it gonna cost me...D35C on a 98 TJ with 69k miles. Or, who has a D44 rear they want to sell me?

Also, though I really don't think so, is this something I want to do myself? Glancing through the axle section in the FSM for my girl's 99 XJ, it looks like a real PITA...not to mention, although I do have Jeep special tool #1 (BFH,) I sure as hell don't have all the other crap mention/pictured in the FSM.

Reply to
Joseph P

L.W.(ßill)

I really enjoyed reading your post, Joe, that is some funny shit. Yep, pinion bearings are gonna be toast, and you may as well plan on replacing the carrier bearings, as well. I don't know how handy you are with this sort of thing, but replacing bearings isn't too tough. If you put the shims back in where you found them, you don't need to concern yourself with setting it back up. You can do this if you are so-inclined and not afraid to learn something new. You may have to get "creative" when pressing the bearings off the carrier and pinion shaft, but it has been done in the backyard.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. (ßill) Hughes III from was injured because:

| If you take Jerry's suggestion, be sure to blue it: |

But you'll| find the ring and pinion to be history, too.| God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O| mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
| || Joseph P wrote: || || Ok, so there I was, driving down the highway, Jack on the || rocks in one hand, Jim in the other, when this weird

|| sure as hell don't have all the other crap mention/pictured || in the FSM. ||

Blue it? You mean using the marking paint? I am not typically one to half ass jobs, especially ones I don't want to be doing on a regular basis! So, anyone got a good lead on a not so bad D44?

Reply to
Joseph P