Please help: Weird tail-light problem...

Hello all,

I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler, I love it to death. But it's got this very annoying (and illegal) problem. The right tail-light is out. Now, the bulb works. I know this because the same bulb is used for the turn-signal, breaks, and hazards. If all those lights work, then why doesn't the tail-light work? I don't understand.

Does anyone have any experience, or a clue as to how I can fix it?

Thanks.. Jay

Reply to
X Statik Process

X Statik Process did pass the time by typing:

Odds are the bulb has two elements in it. One has failed or the pad has melted like this one did.

DougW

Thanks for the quick response, but no, that's not it. I tried the bulb from the other tail-light, and it has the same problem.

Anyone else?

Reply to
X Statik Process

...grab a meter and start tracing back..the problem should present itself very quickly.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Maybe the contact inside has worn out?

The bulb is an 1157 with two elements. The brake and signal use the fixture for their ground, the running light element uses the wiring harness for a ground and tags the fender inside with a wire there at the back.

Look inside for a rusty bolt with a small black wire attached or for a broken wire on the pigtail of the socket inside the fixture. Look close down under the bulb inside.

Mike

X Statik Process wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain