PO301 Misfire, cylinder 1 2001 XJ Sport 4.0

Hello All,

Got the old check engine light, read the code and it's a Misfire in cylinder 1, so I'm thinking I'll replace the distributor, rotor, leads and spark plug, simple enough, 'cept when I pop the hood it sure doesn't look like my 1990 XJ under there, no distributor and an odd box like contraption on the left side where the sparks should go... someone wanna tell me what the hell that is and how I go about pulling it apart? No reference to what that is or how to fix it in the Hayes manual. Seems the 21st century left me behind. Thank you.

Reply to
Stevil

Don't you just hate it when the machinery gets smarter than you are? Makes me feel so damned OLD! I thought 2001 was a bit early, but you appear to have the coil-per-cylinder ignition. No distributor, all electronic. Each pair of plugs (one cylinder on the power stroke, the other on the exhaust) fire from the coils on the rail. The plugs are under the rail. If you have a single cylinder report, it's likely to be a plug. Pull the ignition rail. With that off, you'll probably recognize the landscape again . Change the plugs, pull the battery cables for a couple of minutes to clear the errors and then check for any further reports.

Reply to
Will Honea

Yup, it was a plug when I got a similar code for cylinder 6. Coil rail is a bit of a pita to move out of your way since it has a wire connector on the end near the firewall.

This might help...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis