Popping from rear of XJ

My wife's 00 XJ has developed some new noises. We had the brakes done back in February, but have been having "squealing" issues ever since. Recently, when braking, a popping noise can be heard. It is definitely coming from the rear axle, but you have to listen for it. If the radio is turned up at all, the noise isn't audible. Also, having the windows down doesn't make it any more audible. Sounds almost like something is thumping the underside of the body as you slow down. Most notible at in-town speeds (40 mph or so) as you slow to a stop. The best way I can describe it is a "popopopop.pop.pop..pop...pop...pop.....pop.......pop.........pop". Starts out fast and slows down as I slow down. Pretty much dissapears around 10 mph or so. Either that or I just can't hear it anymore. And every once in a while it just doesn't happen at all.

Thoughts? Is this a brake issue (rear drums)? Is it something else? Thanks!

Pertinent Facts:

00 XJ LTD with 53,000 miles 4.0L Auto Rear Chrysler 8.25 w/factory limited slip Rear brakes are drums No anti-lock brakes 2" spacer/shackle lift (yuck!)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric did pass the time by typing:

Checking the U joints, you might have one that's failing. Although at just four years that isn't too likely. Then check the sway bar brackets for cracks and double check the control arm bolts.

Sway bar brackets crack like this:

Brakes should never squeel, that means someone installed them incorrectly. I'd also pop the rear wheels off and check the brakes. Although there isn't anything in a drum that would "pop" except maby a sheared brake pad. But usually that just causes the wheel to lock up.

Reply to
DougW

The squealing is a long story. It started only a few weeks after the job was done, but my wife didn't tell me about it because she didn't want to give me "anything to worry about". Now that four months have passed, I wouldn't blame the shop for not helping us. Of course, I can't seem to get ahold of the owner anyway. *stepping off of soap box*

Problem is that I can't really do much of anything with any of the bolts. All of my tools are with my TJ halfway across the country (installed a lift while I was gone). I've just been flying home on long weekends for visits. I hate to take it somewhere and pay someone to do this but I might not have any choice. I worry about the "something's wrong but I don't know what it is" statement since that leaves you open for getting ripped off.

I'll have her take it somewhere next week. Thanks.

Reply to
Eric

Eric did pass the time by typing:

Where have I heard that before..... ;)

Some shops have a 1year, check the receipt. Wouldn't happen to be a Midas shop would it? I had those jerks try to weld on my ZJ once. long story.

I know what you mean. Had a similar popping noise in the ZJ after doing the front brakes and had to pay Jeep to tighten the control arms. I just could not get a socket to fit and give me enough leverage to do it myself.

Hope it works out.

Reply to
DougW