Position of window crank when window is up?

Folks,

Does anyone know the position of the window crank (handle) when the window is fully rolled up? I have a Jeep TJ and disassembled both inside door panels. I didn't note the crank position on the shaft.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

A generic answer would be out of the way of your leg/knee but I don't know how it was originally.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I have actually moved some to get them out of the way of my knee. I would recommend the handle at 11:00 vs 1:00 because bumps in the road will walk the window down if the handle is before TDC on a close rotation. If after TDC, bumps want to wind it up.

Mike

Mike Romain

Wherever you want ...

I'd select a location that did not interfer with where I like my knee to rest.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Another consideration is the location of the Passenger Door window crank. Personally, I'd make the tow the same AFTER I accomodated my knee.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey Nick, JoBo is right. If you were to use a clock face as a reference it would be between 2:00 and

3:00. That way it is slightly elevated to that it won't hit your knee while the window is up, and rests in the down position also out of the way of your behind.

Kate

2O]]]]]]]O6 Rubicon
Reply to
Kate

If you crank it up in a counter clockwise direction, having the handle after 12:00 causes it to move down on mine when I hit bumps which unwinds my window. On the passenger side it happens if I have the handle before 12:00 because that side winds up clockwise. So I have one at 11:00 and the other at 1:00.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mine are both at about 2:15, they work just fine there for us. When we had some minor paint work done on both doors the tech put the cranks back on in the wrong spot (meaning not where they were from the factory) and we bumped into them for a couple of days efore running in and having him move them.

Mike proves here that not all settings will work for all people. His ass is prolly a lot smaller than mine too, so I'll keep mine right where it's at.

;¬D

Kate

Reply to
Kate

You got coil spring too.... Hitting a bump in my all leaf sprung CJ7 has a totally different meaning.... LOL!

You have 'both' at 2:15 o'clock? I would be thinking one should be at

9:45. ;-)

Mike

Kate wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That's good, Kate - what about the window handles?

I went to buy a handle for m> Mine are both at about 2:15, they work just fine there for us.

Reply to
Will Honea

I believe NAPA has various window cranks. I know the 'help' line in some auto stores also have them. Cheap.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea