Possible Trolls?

Does anyone else wonder if the sudden rash of posts about issues with the new hemi are from trolls? I mean, c'mon, the GC isn't the only vehicle with the hemi (Magnum, Dodge P/U, etc.). Not saying it is or isn't true, but it just seems like there are a few "newbies" posting the same things. If the problem was that widespread we'd have heard about it a long time ago from owners of the other vehicles (through news reports or at least the grapevine).

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Eric did pass the time by typing:

They aren't the same engine/ecu combination and programming.

Lots of year1 vehicles have bugs. Some serious like the 93ZJ (mine) and the recall that fixed the steering shaft so it wouldn't just fall off leaving the driver without any steering. nice, huh? :I

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

??

Hemi pistons weigh 413 grams, less than a lb each. Not 12.5 lb each.

Dave Milne

Hey, no fair bringing in facts. LOL!

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Not the same engine as far as I have heard.

The Jeep version has the stupid 8 to 4 cylinder engine like the old GM abortion they tried on the Caddy.

One article somewhere said they couldn't use it on the pickup because it, the engine, couldn't handle load.

So much for the 'Hemi'. What a joke.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't forget the weight of the connecting rod and wrist pin. Still not

12.5 pounds tho ;)

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

??? You might want to ask my friend with a Ram with the hemi which engine he has...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You snipped that wrong.

It's not the hemi that is the trouble, it's the ignition that makes it run on only 4 cylinders. Hence my reference to the failed GM 8, 6, 4 engine.

Ask you buddy if his hemi runs on 4 cylinders or not.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill, the damn engine tries to run on 4 cylinders, then switches back to

8 when you give it gas!

They shut off the hydraulic lifters to 4 cylinders and collapse them from lack of oil to save 3 mpg!

Mike Romain

They are hooked to a "powder metal forged" rod it appears, which weights

27.6 ounces.I can't imaging a rocker, pushrod, spring or retainer weighs more than a few ounces each. Given the push rod and piston is just over 2lb a cylinder, do you really think the rest accounts for almost 84lbs ?

I'd be interested in seeing your breakdown figures.

Dave Milne

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, TVR etc have no problems making big engines run smoothly. I think you are being unfair to American manufacturing by claiming they can't.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Titanium rods.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Not when he punches it. He does work for DC and he told me he had the ECM re-flashed to gain about 50hp...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

So he has the Hemi with the MDS system in it like they put in the Jeep?

If so then the article I read must have been out of date. It said the MDS wasn't used in the pickups because of load and reaction time issues.

It would be interesting to know what he modified for the gain and if it was a top or bottom end gain. Maybe there is a way to shut the sucker down and stay in V8 mode?

I come from the muscle car days too and something like that really messes with the 'Hemi' idea. Wayyyy too many parts and crap. Sounds like there isn't even a gas pedal cable or linkage. All electronic. No more shoe lace trail fixes. LOL!

Man, next they will be using microsoft in the ECU.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I believe so. I imagine there is a way to re-flash the ECM to kill the MDS system. In a couple years the performance chips will probably be available to do this.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III