Power Locks on 97 JGC

Anybody had this problem?

My power locks don't really work all that reliably. When I lock or unlock the doors using either the remote, or the power lock switch in the car, it does this weird thing where one or more of the doors will make kind of a jammed sound, and they won't unlock. Mostly the back doors do it, but any one of the doors can do it at any given time...and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I was thinking of taking apart the door to see what I could see, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Any ideas? Thanks, Tom

Reply to
<spam

Approximately 8/31/03 18:37, snipped-for-privacy@musicaltoaster.com uttered for posterity:

Yeah, probably time to take apart the door and see what's what. Seriously, an individual door motor fairly low on list of suspects.

First check fuses 8 and 14. Then the door lock and unlock relays under the glove compartment. They are the middle relays of the smaller ones, lock is in back, unlock in front...the two relays are in the same row, and the lock relay is second from left in the back column. Common problems are a bad ground in the driver's door, near the relay panel, or in one of the door wires. A bit complex to explain how to find unless you have the Factory Service Manual with wiring diagram, which has a pretty good set of volt/ohm checks to narrow it down.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Yes, the solenoids are packed with dirt. Take the doors apart and clean the solenoids before they fry out. Till then stop using the automatic door locks and use a key.

Reply to
DougW