Power Locks Swithcing On Their Own?

'96 Grand Laredo 4.0 w/ 1 Mo. old battery. Remote lock/unlock device has been DOA for a while now. Noticed the locks sporatically clicking on and off when I started the truck up on Saturday....lasted 1 minute and went away as I was driving. Today, Sunday....everything seemed normal...was returning the the Jeep from stopping at a grocery store and the locks were clicking on and off like crazy....just a repeated loop of on and off clicking.

Got in the car....and drove off....the problem went away....however noticed a clicking at the corners under the dash....(sounded like a turn signal click).....later I parked...and turned off ignition...and suddently my horn is doing a repeated light beeping in pattern. I have no alarm on this Jeep. Anyone got a clue what's going on?

I'm thinking a short somewhere...perahaps I should replace the power lock fuse or something?

Thanks for all hints, tips and clues. BTW, when I parked, I stopped the horn honking by disconnecting the battery. Car is sitting w/battery disconnected until I know It won't automatically randomly unlock the jeep.

Thanks again,

Lance

Reply to
Lanceandrew

'You' have no alarm on it, but it sure sounds to me like someone else had one on it and it has gone bad.

Maybe a factory alarm?

Mike

Lanceandrew wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Lanceandrew did pass the time by typing:

Things changed in the 95 from my 93 but I don't think the alarm system was changed till 99. But without a schematic for your year I'm just pissing in the dark here. :]

The lock/unlock relays are in the glove box under an access panel along with the SAM (security) relay. ZJ's with keyless entry almost always came shipped with an alarm from the factory. (all the SAM relay does is flash the lights and beep the horn)

From the 93

(hood side)

SAM Door Lock blank Power Antenna Horn

blank Door unLock blank Rear Defog Entry lights

Let's see if you have an alarm system...

When you get out of the vehicle and push the power lock to locked then close the door, a (security) light should start blinking on the cluster as soon as the courtesy lamps shut off. Unlocking via the driver door or tailgate disables the alarm. If you leave a window down and open the door manually the alarm should go off till you put a key in the drivers door and turn it to unlock.

Random lock/unlock leads me to believe the security system has gone bonkers.

Usually a random alarm going off is due to the hood security pin getting corroded and leaking just enough current to make the alarm think someone opened the hood. But the unlock/lock/unlock/lock.... can't be caused that way. I'm leaning toward the remote entry system having a faulty connection but first thing is to check every fuse.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reminds me of my old cadillac, bought it used, hadn't run in a few weeks... I was driving down the road after getting it and it would do the same thing with the locks, and also would pop my trunk lid while I was driving. It went away after 2 days, on its own. It had a factory alarm but it didn't work. I was told if it kept that up to disconnect the battery and put the positive and negative battery cables (from the car!) together to drain the current from the computer? Didn't try that though. Not sure what would happen.

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
mic canic