Power Steering Gear Box options

I've got a 2001 TJ and I'm looking to replace my power steering gear box. The best 2 options I have right now are a used 2002 box with ~40k or a remanufactured box that will cost $100 more.

Which would you recommend (and why)?

Thanks!

Reply to
Wry-mouth

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What leads you to believe it needs to be replaced so soon?

Reply to
billy ray

It's worn out and I'm looking to replace it with either the used or reman'ed box.

0]]]]]]]0

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Wry-mouth

Reply to
Wry-mouth

Reply to
FrankW

I appreciate all the feedback, but I guess I should have worded my question differently:

If you had to choose between a used steering box with ~40k miles, or a remanufactured box for about $100 more, which would be your pick? Thanks.

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Wry-mouth

As yours is leaking and it seems a lot of boxes of that model seem to leak. I'd go for the remanufactured one, as the chances of the used one eventually leaking is highly likely.

Wry-mouth wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

I was told by a local steering and suspension shop that the 'new' saganaw boxes basically had a defect that allows them to leak way to easily and early in their life. It has to do with the new fancy 2 piece adjuster plug they use that holds the seal.

The older boxes had a one piece plug and took forever to start leaking. My 20 year old one is still just weeping slightly.

When I helped a friend fix his leak, the shop gave us the 'old style' one piece plug and seal kit to replace the fancy new one. It worked great!

Based on what I have read here and seen in person, I wouldn't go for a used box if I was going to replace rather than reseal.

Mike

Mike Romain