Power steering pulley broke hurrah!

Pulled out of a side street, something went "clunk" and the power steering on the ZJ died. Pulled over to the side of the road and investigated and found that the power steering pulley was gone. Backtracked on foot and found the serpentine belt and a piece of pulley.

I was a couple of miles from work, debated limping in and decided against it, called to see if somebody could give me a ride, the boss could, took me down to Autozone to get a new pulley and the puller/press for it.

The boss had to be somewhere so he dropped me at the ZJ and went on. I started taking the old pulley off (the Autozone puller works a treat-- you need a couple of wrenches to use it, I forget the size) and a car pulls up. Same make and model and color as the boss's car, I figured he came back for something, then this insanely cute blonde gets out and asks me if I need any help. Well, I didn't have anything for her to do right then, but I told her I'd appreciated if she'd stick around and give moral support. I promply dropped one of the wrenches in the fan shroud and she, having thinner arms than mine, was able to fish it out for me. I realized that I really needed three hands and she ended up holding one of the wrenches while I removed the pulley with the other one. She actually seemed interested in what was happening--I mean this girl's got "keeper" written all over her. Finally got hub of the old pulley off and the new one on, and showed her how to install a serpentine belt--she was happy to know that. All around a pleasant morning--alas she wasn't interested in continuing the relationship (I'm old enough to be her grandpa, so I don't really blame her). Wish every breakdown went that way.

Story told, I guess I should add mechanical lessons learned:

(a) The "OEM" brand puller from Autozone works fine to both pull and press the pulley.

(b) There's a bolt in the press--if it was an inch shorter the whole thing would work much better on a ZJ--if you ever need to do this see if you can get a shorter bolt the same size.

(c) The job goes a lot faster if there's someone to hold the wrench on the stationary part of the puller steady with two hands.

Those are the only ones I can think of. Otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

Reply to
J. Clarke