Power Steering Question

I've got an 88 MJ, 4.0L with power steering. For quite a while now I've been noticing a small "catch" or bind, for lack of a better term, at a spot about 1/8 of a turn, maybe 30 degrees, from centered position of the wheel, if I make a slow turn while I'm moving. Does the same thing at the same place in both directions, more noticable to the right. OK, steering gear is going. Couple of things that bother me, tho. At a dead stop, I cannot find the bind no matter how lightly or slowly I turn the wheel. I've tried taking weight off the front end and checking at several spots on the way up but I still can't duplicate the problem sitting still, even with the wheels off the ground. The other oddity is that this doesn't show up until I run it for a few miles and warm up the ps fluid. When it's happening, it feels just like a bad worm gear or a cracked ball in the steering gear. I've had a similar issue with older GM cars when the spool wore out, but it's not quite the same.

I thought I'd ask for ideas before I just swap out the steering gear - I would hate to replace that (damned pitman arm!) only to find that it was really something in the suspension. This is the same front end that is under the 87+ XJ so if anyone has any better ideas than the gear box I'm all ears.

Reply to
Will Honea

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Will Honea

Will, you could be describing a ball joint or tie rod end about to go really bad on you.

A blown front axle u-joint can make a bind too.

I am thinking this because it only grabs when moving, not sitting.

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just had a very similar issue. The Jeep would drive fine but occasionally would not want to return to center after a corner or want to turn at all. Found out that both of my axle U-Joints were frozen solid. So solid that my 250 lb buddy could not even get them to bend. I am really lucky the yokes did not break. I would suggest looking at your u-joints first.

Reply to
aGraham

sdddddddddd Uzytkownik "Will Honea" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@anon.none.net...

Reply to