Prefered transmission oil for 89 Charokee?

I recently bought a 89 Charokee that's in very good condition for a 15 year old car. Every other car I owned and belonged to a newsgroup for there has been a prefered transmission lubricant. I find the transmission on my xj to be a little stiff to shift. My daughter has a grand charokee she got new and she says mine shifts easier. So from that I think mine is "normal". Is there a prefered transmission oil that might possibly give better shifts?

Thanks JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill, Thanks for the reply. I looked this morning and can see I have a two piece case bolted top and bottom. So that means I have the "Light duty BA 10/5" French one. I know the French don't have a good reputation for making cars. But I also know the Gleason differential was bought by a Frenchman from a Russian co. The owners manual calls for GL5 75W-90. My question is should I use dino or synthetic oil. Since using shell rotella synthetic 5w40 in my jetta tdi I've started using it in my other vw cars with very good results. Also vw's vanagons that have a weak slider gear for third (as I recall) and it cracks, work better with redline synthetic. Any thoughts on synthetic for my 89 4L XJ and if so what brands?

Thanks Joe

Reply to
Jo Bo

I should add I use the Rotella in the engines of my vw's! Joe

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Oh, so synthetic oils are petroleum oils and petroleum oils are synthetic oils, eh?

Now that makes sense. lol

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Umm....seems someone here has been doing that?

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Main Entry: 1syn·thet·ic Pronunciation: sin-'the-tik Function: adjective Etymology: Greek synthetikos of composition, component, from syntithenai to put together 1 : relating to or involving synthesis : not analytic 2 : attributing to a subject something determined by observation rather than analysis of the nature of the subject and not resulting in self-contradiction if negated

-- compare ANALYTIC 3 : characterized by frequent and systematic use of >

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The companies that make the crap are doing that or have you totally missed that point in all your posts?

'Legally' they can call petroleum oil 'synthetic'.

Don't complain to us about it, we agree with you.

Mike

SnThetcOil wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This argument has come up before and has even gone to court. It was determined that a dino oil modified in such a way could legally be called synthetic. The brand was Castrol.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Right, and by their extremely loose definition, all synthetic oils are petroleum oils and all petroleum oils are synthetic oils, of course! lol :-)