Price check: 84 CJ7, $2800

I've got an opportunity to buy an '84 CJ7. Asking price is $2800. 125K miles, 25K on the rebuilt 4.2L. Has a header and a relatively new rebuilt Weber carb. Engine compartment looks pretty clean, but has a light layer of oil. Lifted around 3" (guessing), running 32x11.50 BFG AT's (60% tread). Single-piece rear axles. Newish Bestop high-back seats and a bolted in back seat. Some small rust bubbles under a seemingly recent repaint (I'm guessing 2-3 years). One small rust-through in the tub, near the rollbar attachment on the passenger side. Frame appears free of serious rust damage. Unknown brand CD player. Aftermarket console (not a Tuffy). Bikini top and doors. Has bows for soft top, but no actual top. Cosmetics are very good (might need a new steering wheel, since it's got a little surface rust.) Tags are current for three more months.

Is that a reasonable price? I might be able to get it down to $2500.

Thanks for the advice!

Hal

Reply to
Hal Haygood

Sounds like an excellent deal! Grab it up quick! (Or tell me where it is, and I will buy it.)

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I paid 4100 for mine which is almost the exact same as you outlined. The only difference is No rust and the tires (same as this one) were brand new. My seats were a little less than this one and I had the stock carter carb. Sounds good to me.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
twaldron

And mine was $3800.00 Canadian with a glass body.

Reply to
Greg

As always, he who hesitates is lost. I went to pull the trigger on it today...and it was already gone. Oh well; at least I got my lovely Finance Committee to agree that I should get one, and that we can indeed afford $2800. So the next time a deal comes up... :)

Thank for the feedback, folks!

Hal

Reply to
Hal Haygood

Around here we found the same thing. It was freaky.

We got one of our Jeeps by calling and calling all the day the add came out finally to be the first one to talk to him at 10:00 that night. We drove 20 miles in a -25 blizzard in my CJ7 to check it out that night. Liked it, left a deposit and finalized it the next day.

Getting the CJ7 was the same. Got there in the dark, left a deposit dependent on a compression check. Came back first thing in the morning, checked it and paid him.

Jeeps are really funny that way as you are finding out. ;-)

Mike

Hal Haygood wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain