Problem with TJ suspension - Clunk

Hello,

I haven't posted here in a couple years, but I am having a problem with my '00 TJ suspension and I hope someone can help.

I noticed a loud clunk when I would turn and the weight of the Jeep would shift. Also, steering was very skittish. So I had my brother-in-law look where the sound was coming from when I rocked the Jeep back and forth and we figured it out.

I have no idea what the different parts are called so I will try to explain:

There is a vertical bar going from the front axel up to a horizontal bar that curves at the end. Looking through the wheel well, you can see the place they meet, about level with the top of the tire and a bit forward of the axel. This is not the spring or shock, is is in front of those. The vertical rod seems to have a bit of a double bend in the middle. This horizontal bar is a fat tube and seems to go across the front of the jeep (behind the metal stamped "JEEP" plate?) to the other side. Anyway, there is a bolt going down through this horizontal tube into the top of this vertical rod. The bolt seems to move a bit up and down in the vertical rod, and there is a rubber boot that stretches as this happens. On the side that doesn't clunk, the bolt moves maybe a 1/4 of an inch. On the side that clunck, the bolt moves up and down about an inch or and inch and a half. And it clunks.

I am assuming this is a pretty common problem. I don't know why. I just am. And I am hoping that someone here can tell me how to fix it. (preferably for under $10!!!) It just really doesn't seem like the type of thing I should have to take it to a mechanic for. I am hoping it is just a part or couple parts I can get at Pep boys. Thanks for any help.

Andrew

Reply to
dooodahman

Hi Andrew,

The 'horizontal bar' is the sway bar (actually an anti-sway bar). Each 'vertical bar' is a sway bar link. You should replace both sway bar links.

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve

That is called the anti sway bar and the ends are sway bar links. You can just get replacement bushings for the worn out ones. They can be a bit fun to take apart the first time, but a socket wrench and a torx bit get the bottom bolts out. I see folks hold the torx solid while turning the socket wrench. Trying to turn the torx can strip things.

Some folks actually take off those links or one at least every time they go off road. That is called disconnecting the sway bar and gives the front axle a whole bunch more free travel.

It has to be hooked up to be safe on the road.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Than you very much. Having a name for things helps a lot. The dealer wants $13 for the bushing and $180 to replace it. So....I am thinking of doing it myself. Any tricks to it, or just unscrew the bolt replace the bushing, screw in the bolt? Also, what do I need to jack up? the axel or the frame or neither?

Andrew

Reply to
dooodahman

In theory with the vehicle level, the bar links should just line up perfectly.

You might need to have someone lean on one corner or the other to line things up. When you come to that bottom torx bolt, use the wrench on the nut to undo it rather than turning the torx end.

Folks do this at the side of the trail all the time. $180.00 to change the bushing! LOL!

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Chances are, the ball-joint portion of the link is toast. I've just replaced mine at 90,000 Km's You'll have to replace the whole link if the ball-joint part is broke. Rather than the bushings.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

I think you are talking about the track bar with the ball joint on one end. He is talking sway bar links.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Is the "ball joint portion" the top or the bottom, and how do you tell if it is just the bushing or the whole link?

Andrew

Reply to
dooodahman

Reply to
FrankW

Neither, it is on a totally different part.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The anti sway bar is a big U shaped bar that goes from each wheel to each wheel. It has holes on the ends.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Nice. I just went out and looked at it again. It looks like if I am changeing the bushing only, i shouldn't have to remove the torx bolt on the bottom. Is that correct? Or will I have to remove the whole link? Andrew

Reply to
dooodahman

My error, sorry. I have a CJ and my links have bushings top and bottom.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You should get away with just removing the clip over the bushing.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That is a photo of a TJ isn't it?

It has sway bar links with upper and lower bushings like mine?

Where is this 'ball joint' thing on the sway bar link?

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

the dealer is saying that the link is a one piece unit and that you cannot just replace the bushings. Am I getting a runaround? This is on a 2000 TJ.

Andrew

Reply to
dooodahman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I now can confidently say I have no clue what part you are talking about.....

Mike