Purchasing question

Just wanted to know, if this makes sense or not. Still milling though the options on whether to go for the liberty or grand cherokee laredo

4wd. I got to sit in the 2005 cherokee but not drive it yet. The 2005 seat rails are longer this year, and the seat goes further back, giving more room. I am tall, with some"middle age spread", and wife is short, and it seems to fit us both. However we are not sure, if this is the car we can live with everyday till owning it for a while. So my question is this. Can after market products be purchased and installed after we decide after a while, that this is the car for us, or can it not be done. We are talking about skid plates, towing packages, grill protectors, roof racks etc. Or are these best purchased at time of purchase. This might also determine which vehicle we will get , do to price differences. Would aftermarket products, void warrantees?

Also , one more comment, for anyone who cares about leather seating. We sat in a 2004 grand cherokee and a 2005 grand cherokee, both with leather(I know its a jeep, but nontheless we sat in the leather equipped ones, since thats all they had in stock). The 2004 seats were much plusher and at first more comfortable then the 2005. But then I read somewhere on line, and I cant find it again, that the pre 2005 cherokees made their seats very soft and plush, to give an instant good will kind of effect upon sitting on them, but that after driving awhile, they proved unsupportable, but you only found that out after driving after purchase. Thus they (chrysler) decided to change the configuration, while still using dual density foam underneath, have made the new seats(in the non leather also) much more supportable, for better handling and ergonomics. Anyone know about this?

Much regards

Reply to
j.lef

I personnaly hate leather, All other goodies can be add after the purchase of the jeep and are cheaper to buy elsewhere than the stealership....

....Would aftermarket products, void warrantees? Nothing cosmetic for sure would void the warranty, Anything that change the drivetrain is something else however.

My 2 cent

--

96 GC Laredo 4x4 For sale.

Reply to
Le CLone

for those interested. Thanks

Reply to
j.lef

If I were ordering a vehicle I would get a factory towing package - it often includes a lot more than just the hitch and is very cost effective at the time of purchase. In some cases but not all, it includes; hitch assembly wiring transmission cooler high capacity cooling system heavier suspension low ratio gearing To add these items post purchase could add up to thousands of dollars. Factory packages will seldom cost much more than a few hundred. See what the factory towing package includes and use your best judgement.

Factory skids will be cheaper than aftermarket. Depending on your needs, they may be more than adequate. I use factory skids on my XJ and at 3/16" steel, they do fine for me. My XJ did not come with skids, I purchased them used and saved plenty over aftermarket alternatives.

Cosmetics and functional items such as grille protectors and roof racks are probably best if purchased post purchase. You will have hundreds of options to choose from and there will likely be a product to suit your needs perfectly rather than limit yourself to the dealer offerings.

Void warrantees? Some will, some won't. Always consult the dealer before making an investment.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to