Quadratrac TCase Neutral ?

I can't seem to put my wifes '98 ZJ Quadratrac transfer case into neutral. There seems to be no position of the transfer case lever anywhere between

4WD Full -time and 4WD part-time that is actually a neutral. Both non-neutral modes seem to work fine except there's a horrible grinding noise putting it in part-time, and if I leave the lever anywhere between the two extremes it's either not neutral or there that really bad grinding sound. Is this normal? I'm used to my TJ's Command-Trac transfer case with a manual transmission, and have absolutely no issues with selecting neutral with that combination. I'm wondering if this is normal for an automatic transmission-equipped vehicle, or if there's some sort of adjustment to the transfer case lever linkage I need to do?

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

L.W.(ßill)

Surely somebody in this group has had an NV249 ???

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

I think you have to put the transmission into N then shift the transfer case into N.

Reply to
Mark12211

That's what I think too, and that's what I cant get to work. Thanks, though.

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP