Query to the group (esp. CJ & old YJ drivers)

My 1986 CJ is my daily driver. I have been hesitant over the years to replace my original soft top. I live in Tennessee, therfore the climate is moderate enough that the top comes off in May and does not go back on until mid-October. Also, the top is a red/burgandy color which matches my seats and dash (or at least the back seat. The front seats are under 2 orr 3 layers of seat covers) This color is not offered by Bestop. I have heretofore spent a couple of hours annually sewing up the places where the old thread has dry rotted and then congratulating myself on deferring the top replacement for one more year. My delimma: two nights ago, the handle to the drivers side soft door fell off. I was able to retrieve the half that goes on the inside, but was not able to find the rest of the handle. I have searched the normal catalogue sites but cannot find a replacement. So far I have not found a local junkyard that has any old jeeps. Is it time for the Supertop?

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Yep, go Supertop and never look back. You won't regret it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Will the supertop match our stock soft top anchor points?

The stock 86 CJ7 top was a Witco that snaps on and is a dream to put up and down, not like the nightmare the YJ and TJ folks have.

I mean I am sitting inside listening to tunes with my top up long before these poor folks standing in the pissing rain even have started putting windows in....

Mike

Jim Meyer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

replacement.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

It isn't that bad, I can get my TJ up in 3 minutes...I have just learned a few tricks...like just starting zippers, not clamping the header to the windshield immediately, but I sometimes do wish I had snaps......

Reply to
Joseph P

You did not specify CJ5 or CJ7. since the discussion is about soft doors, I'll take the leap that you have a CJ5. I have some half doors that might fit, and they don't match the color scheme of my CJ5. If you want them ...

jstrickland at ez2 dot net

Reply to
CRWLR

Hi Mike,

The new tops don't use the snaps. I put one on mine... it has the "slide under rails" and zip in windows. I leave my top on and just remove the doors and windows in good weather. I used to run a bikini, but now with all the windows and doors out its like a safari top.

Reply to
JimG

I won't buy a piece of garbage top like that to replace my good working one, I would rather have mine rebuilt.

I like sitting nice and dry while everyone else gets soaked in a cloud burst.

Mine also is designed to work as a 'real' safari top. All my windows roll up and I have totally open sides and back.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

RoyDMercer wrote: My delimma: two nights ago, the handle to the drivers

This guy is outside of Atlanta. I found related parts a few years ago for my sister when their door handle feel apart on the way to...Atlanta. Give them a try. You never know.

Retiredff

whatever...

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

I have to figure that my top has lasted since 1986 so the quality has to be halfway decent...

I think I will be checking out the marinas around for some new windows and some upgrading on some weak stitching.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks all.....I will suspend the decision for 3 days, I found 2 door handles on ebay with a current bid of $10.00.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

I wasn't knocking the build quality of the CJ top. My CJ tops' build quality was everything I could ask for. I was giving kudos to the design quality of the newer tops. The are far more airtight and much more quiet and pleasant to own.

TOP TEN THINGS I LIKE BETTER ABOUT THE NEWER TJ SAILCLOTH TOPS OVER STOCK FACTORY CJ7 TOPS:

  1. Exponentially Quieter
  2. Darn near water tight
  3. Zip out windows instead of roll-up
  4. No Rusty Snaps
  5. Clamps to windshield instead of screwing on/off a channel
  6. Bows fold down more neatly
  7. Can use with hard doors
  8. Tinted windows available
  9. Windows are far easier to replace with new ones
  10. No self-tapping, self-stripping sheetmetal screws to deal with

JMHO

Mike Roma> I have to figure that my top has lasted since 1986 so the quality has to

Reply to
twaldron

Agreed, on all counts!

JimG

Reply to
JimG

I prefer roll up.

Never had these.

Wha? YJ and CJ both have channels and fit the same way. I wouldn't know about TJs tho.

Amen.

Good list tho.

Reply to
Jeepers

You can have my door handles for free. It that is too cheap, then send me the ten bucks.

Reply to
CRWLR