Question......

I have an '06 Liberty diesel and just installed a Nokia hands-free car kit. There is reference to connecting the 'blue' wire to the "IGNS line" to facilitate turning the unit on & off with the 'ignition'. Apparently some vehicles to not come with an IGNS connection.

Of course, I realize that my diesel doesn't use 'ignition' per se, but none the less wonder if this IGNS connection refers to something else, and I just might have it.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Reply to
budman

That will refer to a circuit that comes on when you turn the key, like the power for the radio.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The older Jeeps had a plug in on the fuse panel with that label for aftermarket stereos or anything that need 'key on' power.

You might have a slot with that name.

Mike

Mike Romain

The thing that threw me, is "Some vehicles do not come with an IGNS connection." I can't think of ever seeing a vehicle that did NOT turn the radio etc. on before actually starting the engine.

This is from another Nokia car kit manual:

"Ignition-Sensing" must be connected to either of the following:

-the ignition-sense wire/terminal in the fuse box

-the sound system position-sensing terminal/wire located behind the sound system.

If anyone can pinpoint either of these locations, it would be appreciated.

Reply to
budman

Did you look on the fuse panel for a place to plug in a spade connector labeled 'igns'?

Where are you getting the power for the unit from? Is is a full time 12 volts or switched? If it is switched, then you can just tag the wire to the power.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > The thing that threw me, is "Some vehicles do not come with an IGNS connection."
Reply to
Mike Romain

I recommend putting a voltmeter or test light on likely fuse box terminals. Then see whether key-on key-off makes it light up and go out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

As per instructions, it is wired directly to the battery + terminal. There is an inline fuse and the unit can be turned on manually, but will turn off in 2 minutes IF it doesn't detect the cell phone that it is linked with. (Bluetooth) It's no big deal to turn it on manually, it's just that there is another wire that can be used to trigger it whenever the ignition is turned on or off. The unit will NOT turn off unless the cell phone is taken more than 33 feet away or turned off. I imagine the draw is almost negligible anyhow. Thanks to all for their input. We won't even THINK about whether or not the mute wire can be hooked up!

Reply to
budman