Question About replacing Infinity Gold radio in JGC

I have at least spent about 3 hours on this now to search past newsgroup posts and websites through google, but seems there is no clear answer yet.

I have a grand cherokee limited 97 with infinity gold system. I need to replace the head unit and speakers, but would love to keep the factory amp.

From what I see, the factory amp requires speaker level input. but most aftermarket head units assume you use RCA pre-amp output. therefore, I saw some people said that you would either by pass the factory amp, or buy some device that converts the signal level. I indeed found one such converter, but sells for $80 which is ridiculous.

however, I found from the instruction of soundgate.com, you don't need any interface device, just wire the aftermarket head unit speaker level signal to the amp.

I assume that no matter what, the connection from amp to speakers would be just the same, either you use factory speakers or aftermarket ones.

which is the correct answer?

in my case, I simply assume the second one is correct, and wired up the head unit speaker output directly to amp. the front speakers sound ok. but the rear speakers barely make any sound at all. I am not sure it is because something wrong from head unit to the amp or the amp to speakers.

thanks

Hansong

Reply to
hh