Question about the 4.0

Hi everyone.

My daughter has a two wheel drive Cherokee It has a 4.0 high output.

222xxx miles on it. Runs like a champ. No noises from it. No smoke. Perfect. I'm not sure whether it is even the original engine, but whos to say. Anyway, when she gets another car, is this engine worth pulling and saving. Maybe for a future project. What things should I consider regarding keeping it. If need be would it be worth a rebuild. Just wondering, because I'm sure soon she will want something else, and I would have no use for a two wheel drive Jeep, and I probably couldn't sell it for what I bought it for. Would the engine be worth keeping? Any input would be appreciated.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

If you have a big yard and no pesky municipal "nuisance" laws, just park it out back. The best place to store an engine is in the car, with all the tubes hooked up and the hood down. They don't rust up nearly as bad that way.

Personally, I wouldn't save an engine like this unless I had firm plans to put it in something soon. I am trying to kick that pack rat habit too.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

222k is light for the 4.0 Try the market first, I think there are more folks out there that buy 2wd. But if your wanting to keep the engine there are steps you need to take. (can't go over all of them here, but you just know there is a ton of folks in this group that have pet engines in the garage. :)

Mostly it's making sure it's out of the weather and squirting oil into the pistons, followed by some spark plugs to seal them up. Also put stainless steel wool in all the holes or plate them off to keep out rodents and debris. Still when you go to use the engine it will have to be checked out and pre-lubed just like a crate motor. i.e. new oil, filter, and drill-spin the oil pump before trying to turn it over.

I'd say yank it and build a 4.4-4.7 stroker out of it. :) Or go find yourself a XJ or TJ with a blown motor and start another project.

Reply to
DougW

vbeergoggles.com

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the advice.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Too many miles on it to really sell it for much.

Some CJ people would maybe keep it to stuff the guts from a 258 into to make a nice FI 4.7L Stroker.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi everyone.
Reply to
Mike Romain