Question About the Borla Header

My TJ seems to be in the minority of 98 TJ's that haven't cracked their exhaust header. Judging by what I read here it is only a matter of time before I join the club. :-(

So in the November 2003 Four Wheeler magazine I read with interest about the process to install Boral header. IMHO the article was rather dull except for one sentence;

"but if we had to nit-pick, we'd target the new header crossover pipe, which travels under the transmission and decreases ground clearance by approximately 2 inches."

Losing ground clearance would seem to be a good reason not to choose the Borla header. Has anybody installed the Borla noticed a problem, or is the cross-over pipe out of harms way?

Dean

Reply to
Dean

David C. Moller

I installed a Borla about 2 years ago.... made my 84 CJ run great.... I have done the Nutter Bypass, Webber Carb and the Borla she runs pretty good.... I did not lose any ground clearance.....

DGann

Reply to
DGann

Dean, I think 97 is when they started running the exhaust back forward and around the oil pan to get on the passenger side. I noticed the same thing you mentioned about the Borla system having to cross under the transmission. I would never install an exhaust pipe that has to cross under the transmission.

My exhaust (97 TJ) was cracked, and I installed a new improved style manifold (bellows) from AutoZone for $190. It's stainless steel and it's build quality is far superior to the original I removed. Made in China no less... I chose this over a "header" due to time and $$ constraints. I'm happy.

I think Banks makes a system that goes around the front of the oil pan like the original. $$$ here also.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Burns