Question From a Potential JEEP Wrangler Buyer

Hi all,

I currently drive a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, and am looking to buy a new vehicle in the next 6 months. I love my Pathy, it's given me many years of virtually trouble free service. In fact, no matter what, I plan to keep it, no matter what other vehicle I buy. However, I'm not sure if I will consider a 2003-04 Pathy. Lately, I've been really digging Jeep Wranglers, and plan to test drive some at my local dealer in the coming weeks. One question I have: how do wranglers handle on the highway/freeway? I ask this question because it seems like I'm always passing them on the freeways here in California. Are they difficult to drive at speeds over 60 MPH? I'm being serious here, as I have yet to drive one. I'm not looking for a sportscar, but I just want to get an idea on the Wrangler's overall capabilities.

thanks

Reply to
driver

The ones your blowing past on the freeway are the four cylinder models. Great on the trails, but suck in the fast lane. So, make sure your get the

4 liter, six. As four handling -- my opinion is that the new Wrangler models are really built for the highway in terms of suspension, gearing and gas milege. You have to make them trailworthy by adding offroad performance equipment, i.e. bigger tires, lift kits, gears, etc. Once your start adding stuff, the changes you make now lean toward greater trail performance and less stability on the highway at speed. Of course there is middle ground, but only you can determine what that based on your preferences for street or trail performance. Since your in CA, the strict vehicle laws will limit you anyway in terms of upgrades. Your best bet is to keep it for street performance so you can drive out-of-state quickly and safely to get to some descent trails that the "Tree Huggers" haven't closed down.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

I've owned both an '89 and '93 Pathfinder. The Wrangler, while the best SWB (CJ/YJ/TJ) Jeep produced yet for hwy use, is not a Pathfinder on the hwy. If you do a lot of cross-country, I'd use your Pathfinder for that (you're keeping it anyway). For a while there, I owned a CJ and a Pathfinder and found them to compliment each other nicely. The 4cyl is rather gutless on the hwy, so I'd avoid that, but otherwise I'd say 'go for it'. You don't by a Jeep for comfort, highspeed, gas mileage nor lots of long distance hwy driving, you buy a Jeep because you want a Jeep!

That said, I've d> Hi all,

Reply to
twaldron

Do any other models have limiters out of interest ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Ok, that's the second response I read about the poor little 4 cyl, I drove my daughter's 95 yj 4 cyl about 500 miles both ways to Jeep Jam. and had no problem keeping it at 80 mph, 3rd is a bit of a dragger but 4th and 5th are great.

Reply to
Greg

You could drive this vehicle at 65-75 mph all day long in fourth, and I have with mine. I think that the fuel economy is even better when you do that! I don't know about the sixes but the designers were "optimistic" at least putting a fifth gear in this vehicle. (It might be useful if you were to gear it down though.) I passed a CJ7 at 85 mph in mine once. I have also passed numerous VW Microbuses, a Subaru, and an old lady in a Buick...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
twaldron

Wranglers handle acceptably on highway, but they are not even remotely in the league of a sports car. I wouldn't call them difficult to drive at speeds over 60mph, exactly, but I definitely wouldn't want to drive long highway distances in one on a regular basis.

If you are looking for something comparable to a Pathfinder and are primarily interested in highway handling, get a Liberty instead. (Many of the folks on this message group will disagree with me for recommending a Liberty, but they are doing white-knuckle off-roading that is more extreme than anywhere you are ever likely to drive. The Liberty is ideal for what you are describing.)

Reply to
sm3gurpal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Man, that big six just 'don't' rev over 4500 rpm.

I have no computer or other pollution crap running an she tops out at

4500 in 2nd gear. It pulls strong and then the pull just 'stops' dead at 4500.

I was told the only way to get a bit higher out of them was to replace the valve springs with a 'lot' stronger ones to stop the valve float.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Dunno Bill - it sounds a bit thrashy at 4500 as it is. I usually shift 3500 max.

Reply to
Dave Milne

geez... my cj (258 w/carter bbd) drops off at about 2500 rpm

Reply to
Joe

quite... I couldn't imagine it at 6000 rpm. It sounds like its going to detonate at 3500 and the police can hear you coming a block away...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > : > Man, that big six just 'don't' rev over 4500 rpm. : > : >

: > : > I have no computer or other pollution crap running an she tops out at : > : > 4500 in 2nd gear. It pulls strong and then the pull just 'stops' dead : > : > at 4500. : > : >

: > : > I was told the only way to get a bit higher out of them was to replace : > : > the valve springs with a 'lot' stronger ones to stop the valve float. : > : >

: > : > Mike : > : > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 : > : > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

TJ's I6 is set at about 5250. Found that out a few weeks ago. :-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

You must still have the computer running it or in the loop somewhere or are running an ethanol mix.

I can pull out to almost 55 mph in second when hitting 4500 rpm using 91 octane gas and get 19 US mpg.

It runs like a pig on ethanol mix.

Mike

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Is there any real power up that high in the rpm band anyway......I've thought about dumping my carter for the webber but I've got the carter tunned up so well right now. I can pull up to about 4500 in the lower gears...but only 4100 or so in 4th....my 5th gear has decent passing speed and can pull the hills all day long around 75.....far cry from when I bought my jeep. I figure my lift/tires are gonna kill all of this on the highway. Would the Webber help?

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Sounds like you have it nailed.

I get the best gas mileage on the highway running at 2300 rpm in 4th at

70 mph.

I basically have no use for 5th with 33" tires. 5th still works and still has power, but it lugs the engine and because of that kills the mileage.

Mike

Wranglerjeep1 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain