Questions about installing a TrueTrac in a 35C.

Hi guys, I am in the process of installing a Detroit TrueTrac in my rear axle D35C. (I'm a bit in over my head, but there is a first time for everything:) and I have a few questions maybe some of you can help me with.

1) My new carrier says RATIO 3.54 and has an arrow pointing up. I interpret this a as 3.54 and higher, i.e 3.54 -> 3.07, which is what I have. Am I correct ? Or does it go the other way 3.54 -> 4.08 etc. :<

2) My factory service manual says that the carrier shims during FINAL assembly go between the bearing and the carrier. During gear set up they are placed on the outside between the bearing races and the housing for convenience. When I pulled the old carrier out though, the shims where on the outside between the bearing races and the housing and not between the bearings and the carrier. Also the shims are actually one thick shim on each side instead of multiple thin shims which is what my overhaul kit contains. I don't think this is a problem though. But what about the placement of the shims ? I would really prefer to put them one the outside and save pulling the bearings off the carrier.

3) The factory service manual references, by number, some specialty tools. Who makes them ? The guy at Randy's Ring and Pinion could not match up any of the numbers with their tool part numbers. I didn't find any mention in the service manual about how or where to get them. For example what tool do you use to pull the rear bearing off the pinion ? I have a new R&P so I won't need to do this but would a bearing splitter and a puller work just like on the carrier bearings ?

4) How do you install the rear bearing on the pinion ? The manual references some special tool/driver, but no picture to be seen. I imagine this being a simple pipe or tube, preferably heavy walled and a few thousandths larger in diameter than the bearing so it can slip over the shaft and drive the bearing into place. I am planning on using a similar technique for the carrier bearings using a honed out old bearing. Is this reasonable or should I do something else. ?

Thanks for reading, if you can help please do.

-Joe

Reply to
Joseph

I forgot to mention that I asked one of the local (Annapolis MD) Jeep stealer for a quote on a Ring and Pinion set and they said $569.00 !! Needles to say I got a better deal elsewhere ~$170.00, unless the dealer's R&P is made out of kryptonite :)

-Joe

Reply to
Joseph

The Dealer quoted just parts. How do you think those guys & gals got that experience under their belts ? I realize this job is tricky, but if I persist until it is done right I think (hope) I'll be ok. I could always take my axle to a shop if I can't set it up right . It is more than I bargained for going in though because I thought I would only have to do the rear. Unfortunately the truetrac I bought 2 years ago and had sitting around is for 3,54 an up so my 3.07 gears won't do. Got to change front and back to 3.54 to use the diff :(

Reply to
Joseph

they probably had some sort of formal training, either at a tech school or through an employer, not through trial and error in their own backyard, to receive the training necessary to pass their certification. Of course there are exceptions, but probably very few.

For all I know you might be qualified to do an R&P/carrier change but your questions in the original post indicate the opposite, hence my cautionary reply.

That said, good luck on your project.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Make sure if the jeep is older you replace the axle seals. I had my True Trac installed and then when it came out of the shop there was a oil leaking out.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

Yes, since I am going through with this, I am replacing every seal bearing and race. (91YJ) How do you like your True Trac ? feel any different then the open differential ?

-Joe

Reply to
Joseph

Sounds good. I am tired of getting stuck in the mud/snow etc, when one wheel from each axle has no traction. I am also curious about the effect my new lower gear ratio will have. I had 3.07 gears with 31" MTRs and now I will have 3.54 So far the installation is going well but it is slow process.

-Joe

Reply to
Joseph